Drobo

Windows Network

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has already been asked.
I have a Drobo in my home office and I’m really pleased with it so far. Now I am considering buying one for work (hooked directly to my computer) and I’m wondering if other computers on the Windows network will be able to access my files as they would with any other external HD or will it require Droboshare?

Drobo without DroboShare is DAS (Direct Attached Storage).

Other computers will only be able to access it if the computer it’s connected to (the host system) allows file-sharing.

It’s handled the same as if the Drobo was an internal drive as far as the rest of the network goes.

If you turn off the computer (or put it to sleep) the Drobo is connected to, then the Drobo’s contents will no longer be available to other machines on the network.

DroboShare is convenient if you don’t have a computer on 24/7, but it is not as fast (10 MB/sec transfer) as using a computer to share the Drobo’s contents, so if you require high performance sharing, you will want to consider connecting the Drobo to a machine configured for permanent sharing.

All depends on your usage. I have DroboShare and I’m pleased with it, but I don’t use my Drobo for any tasks that require high-performance access.

Brandon

That answers my question. Thanks Brandon