Drobo

Windows Drive Policy

Drobo reports itself as a “removable volume” to Windows. Such devices have a choice of policy:
[list=1]
[]Optimise for quick removal (default)
[
]Optimise for performance
[/list]The default assumes that such devices are portable, and often removed. All disk writes occur immediately.

The second choice is for fixed drives which happen to be USB connected. Windows caches certain disk writes, which noticeably increases disk performance.

I’ve aways set my external USB drives to the second option, and never had a problem. Mind you, I run my system on a USB, so I’ve never had a write lost because of a power failure. NTFS is “power failure safe” insofar as your disk structure will remain intact, but you may lose your most recent changes.

Does drobo have any recommendation on this (other than the anticipated “don’t do that” from the lawyers)?

I’m about to set my Drobo to run this way (it requires a reboot), so if you don’t hear from me for a few days, you can assume that it didn’t go so well.

Hi,

I tried this with my Drobo v2, but it wouldn’t run properly. So I changed back to allow quick removal. I don’t think it is really necessarry. because the Drobo caches also write operations.

Also, the Drobo is a black box so formatting a Drobo with NTFS will not really create a NTFS partition. Drobo does something else and emulate a NTFS partition.

But you may give it a try,

Regards, Nils.

Hi

Well, this setting makes quite a difference, actually. Drobo does some caching on its own, but this setting determines how the OS itself copes with file transfers. If you leave the first option selected (quick removal), Windows won’t proceed with the next transfer until it gets “I got it!” from the Drobo. It makes transferring the batches of many small files a real pain. You can check this by observing the progress bar while copying some folder containing many files. I recommend a tool like Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) as it displays detailed progress bars, separate for the current file and for the total batch. When using “quick removal” policy, you’ll notice how the program pauses after each file, waiting for it to get fully sent to the Drobo. When using “performance” policy, the data is being cached on the OS level, making batch transfers much quicker and more fluent. Of course, there is some risk of the data loss but I can live with that given the performance benefit.[hr]

I too had problems when trying to enable this for the first time. Drobo has freaked out and gone into infinite reboot loop. I had to perform the “reset with no drives” procedure described in the knowledge base. But again, it’s worth it.

Sure, but it won’t cache something it didn’t get from the OS yet.

And you should :wink:

Regards
Zbig

Well, I’m back; nothing untoward happened.

As long as you’re on a UPS or have some sort of protection from power failure, and you don’t disconnect your Drobo, it’s perfectly fine to optimize for performance, which gives you cached writes.

Good thread. So whats the best way to remove the drive from the computer when you optimize? Will it show up in “safely remove hardware” icon?. Thanks.

It’ll show in Safely Remove - or you won’t get the optimize for ____ option as they’re for removable devices.