Drobo

WIN7 and Drobo Pro

So I am running into a strange issue with my Drobopro and Win7 - well other than the fact the network card i just bought to run iSCSI with does not support WIN7 drivers - thus need to buy a new card i went ahead and setup the Drobopro on USB just to get it rolling and technically thats how it needs to be done on a full system redo anyway…

Now what I am finding is that everytime I shutdown and restart all the files on the Drobopro are being marked as read only - this can be a major issue as since I need to edit files etc on the Drobo - and Adobe Lightroom cannot even access them if they are marked as read only - we have an issue…

I am pretty sure this is a WIN7 problem but has anyone seen this? or have a work around for it?

I have unmarked the items as read only - then 20 minutes later when its done reassigning rights to those files its good to go - but then when the computer is shutdown and restarted the same permissions issue occurs and those folders and files are set to Read only…

Very anoying…

I have what appears to be the same problem. Win 7 Pro 64 bit new install. I have tried to use my various synchronization softwares and drobo as destination creates .tmp files but can’t delete the old file because it’s read only, and so the sync fails.

I’ve tracked down part of this to the folder properties / security tab where group or user names are given permissions. On this screen and succeeding ones I see the following:
CREATOR OWNER
SYSTEM
S-1-5-21-1813466527-194856706-2023302689-500
Administrators (name of administrators))
Users (name of users)

Clicking through to the Edit screen, you see
Account Unkown(S-1-5-21-1813466527-194856706-2023302689-500.

Or clicking through to the Advanced screen, I see that the S-1-5-21… has “Special” Permissions, applied to this foler only, whereas the CREATOR OWNER has “Special” applied to subfolders and files as does Users (name of users).

So this “Account Unknown” possibly is a drobo control of the folder and is being handled by W7 in a weird way.

This is my guess. I do think the solution to the problem, whether this is why it happens or not, is in this very hard to understand next of screens having to do with permissions, accounts, users, groups, etc. I’m sure it’s all very useful to some. I’m just a single end user who’d like to be able to make my system do some simple things like do a sync backup which many softwares could do with XP Pro.

My info to date…
George

Well I am right there with you and also believe that the issue lies in the permissions given to those files…

That said there are tools / scripts to “take ownership” of the files and also many entires on the web about removing the unknown user… I am not about to do that without better understanding the permissions systems in Win7 and risk losing access to the files compleatly which I have also read about.

The key now is finding someone who actually knows how the system works…

I have basically given up on getting iSCSI to even work more than once every 10 restarts…

Now it just sits there either not connected… or when it connects it will do this flashing light display… I actually have access to the drives - but it never turns the lights on steady and leaves them… see vid clip

I guess i do not get why this issue is so difficult to fix or have a work around for… if you offer iSCSI it should be able to work reliably…

2mb video file: http://www.burzycki.org/drobo/drobo.3GP

jorxj:
Did you format and load data onto the Drobo Pro from a Win7 install, or did you change OS to Win7 from something else?

If you’ve changed OS, the security ID of the Windows account that is “owner” of the file may now be different. This is similar to if you rename an account - or even take a local NTFS-formatted drive from one machine to another machine (assuming the machines aren’t members of the same active directory).

Just because the usernames/passwords are the same, it doesn’t mean the security credentials are the same, and if the files had restrictions on what could be done to them (ie, they weren’t “Full Control - Everyone”) then you’ll need to take ownership of the files with an existing Administrative account.

If this is the case, it has nothing to do with Drobo Pro - it’d happen the same with a local hard drive too - it’s the way the NTFS permissions work.

I think bburzycki’s iSCSI problem is either an additional layer of trouble, or something else.

my drobo was formatted on vista, and its gets swapped between my x86 (on USB) and x64 win 7 (Via iSCSI) installs, thru various betas and now both up to gold code, and i’ve never seen this issue :frowning:

Ok this problem seems to be solved after mutiple attempts to better understand WIN7 permissions and sharing.

This does not resolve the iSCSI issues I am having but Drobo has asked me to call in for more support - but that will take a day or two before I am back in the office.

Generally speaking it shouldn’t be a problem, unless you’re in an Active Directory or you’re anal about file permissions and ownership.

By default, Windows lets everybody who authenticates use stuff.

iSCSI issue solved…

It was all about the settings in the ISCSI initiator…

Mine were wrong and I have no idea why - we fixed them - set a statis IP and all issues seem to be resolved…

So even thou I had done all this before - leaving out the portion to look into iSCSI iniator settings was the issue and should be looked at if you are having wake on LAN style issues…

Thank you Drobo Tech support…

thanks for letting us know!