Drobo

Who powers down drobofs?

I had my fs replaced because of a failed fan. I’ve been thinking of shutting drobofs down when not needed, to try to make this one last.anyone else doing this.

Nope!
It’s been on since i bought it a year and a half ago and still spinning (in a closet so i don’t have to listen to it…)

Same here. Mine has been continuously powered on for over a year. It sits on a shelf right above me and I never noticed any fan noise. I also have a Netgear 16-port Gigabit switch on the same shelf and I hear a little fan noise from it.

Been on for year +

I’m a Drobo FS newbie. Mine just arrived a week ago and it’s been pretty much ON full time since arrival.

THE PLAN would be to have the FS running continuously – backups etc. often scheduled to occur in the very early AM hours so as to not bog down the network when it is in use.

Though, now I am told that the FS is the single Drobo product that does NOT have its own built-in short term power backup and that if I will be away/out of the house I should shut down the unit in case of a power outage.

None of them have power backup… memory backup maybe but that’s just the write cache - it does nothing for data that was “on the way” - not to mention if the computer end doesn’t have a battery backup, then the operation will also fail.

Long story short, any Drobo should be attached to a battery backup (UPS) so it will be powered longer than the attached (network or direct) computers. That way the computers will complete their operations, Drobo will complete its operations and then run idle until power is restored or the battery backup is exhausted.

[quote=“bhiga, post:6, topic:4714”]
……Drobo will complete its operations and then run idle until power is restored or the battery backup is exhausted.[/quote]

So far as I’ve been able to determine, you’re probably spot on. Having the Drobo attached to a UPS also protects its from surges, brownouts and the nasty flickering on/off cycles that often precede an outage.

I’m still concerned, though, that the Drobo’s system might suffer damage when, so to say, it’s plug is suddenly pulled as the UPS’ battery runs down – this is a long way from the recommended shutdown procedure.

I’ve had power cut out on my Drobos a handful of times now, mainly due to user error, and it’s survived.

Only one of these power cuts was extended (ended up being 3+ days), but so far, all is good knocks on wood.

The only major problem I’ve had with corruption was when I hard-restarted the computer connected to Drobo, and the fault there, of course, has nothing to do with Drobo - the computer didn’t finish its write operation.

I still share your concern though, like USB drives, while corruption may be a rarity from “just pulling the plug,” it should be avoided whenever possible.

Ouch! LOL ;-(

Yeah, while it’s not nearly as elegant as having either the UPS or an attached PC issue shutdown commands to the Drobo, the Drobo FS system and the contained data are probably about as protected as I could hope.

Scenario: A drunk driver snaps a telephone pole a mile up the road. The power voltage drops, goes back up, goes off, on, off, on and then finally off for good. All my gear is safe behind the UPS’s surge protected receptacles.

I have the Grid Junction addin running on my HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server and it should gracefully shut down the server as the UPS’ battery level reaches 50%.

The desktop PC in the same room will receive shutdown instructions from its UPS. Thinking about it, it will make sense to have the router or switch connected to the laptops “out” on the network NOT be covered by a backup battery. With no new data being directed at the Drobo, it will have plenty of time to finish all its reads and writes. By the time the battery of the Drobo’s UPS runs down all the way all the other network computers and/or appliances will be silent – the Drobo can just crash off.
…knocking on wood AND crossing my fingers!

The odds are with you that nothing bad will happen. Prior to having a gas generator I had several extended power outages where my UPS went dead and subsequently the Drobo FS lost power. In all cases, the FS came back up without incident. Granted, if you CAN shut it down you should but if it’s just sitting their and power goes away “cleanly” you will likely be ok.

I just posted a new thread about a port of apcupsd, so if you have a compatible UPS and a system that can act as a network ups server, this droboapp will slave off of that server and shut down your drobofs cleanly when the power goes out.

Hopefully.

:slight_smile:

I’d like to be able to power down the Drobo-FS say from 2am to 9am. My Drobo-FS is running SABNZBin, Sickbeard and Couch Potato and I wouldn’t mind if downloading stopped during these hours.

Shutting down is easy enough, but automatic wake would be impossible I’d imagine :frowning:

I had my Drobo-FS replaced under warranty after a brown out caused the unit to die (the power supply was still okay). The repair place didn’t send back the faceplate however, so my drobo now runs naked :confused:

Automatic wake short of some mechanized switch toggle would require a power-cycle, which you may or may not be able to do from your UPS.

That said, assuming the drives are spinning down properly, IMO powering the FS down/up would cause more wear on your drives (the startup runs at least some rudimentary filesystem check) compared to having the FS inactive and drives spun-down during that time.

Could you possibly just kill those background processes during the “sleep time” instead?