Drobo

whishlist

Hey all,

Some of the things I which for on Drobo:

• versioning - when u accidentally delete files you should get an option to get it back. Or when you overwrite it, you should get back to a previous version. It’s not really neccecary to get back 10 versions, but maybe 2 versions should be great!

• SPEED!!! - 1 of the things that Drobo really is missing is SPEED! Even on a FW800 Drobo the speed is really really slow!

I am curious what others want to see in a new Drobo (or the old version with new firmware)

Stefan

versioning would be a function of the file system, not of the storage device.

I understand. Versioning is maybe the wrong word. I need something that when a person removes a file it can be undeleted, or a previous version (when overwritten).

I am using OSX and Time Machine should be fine, but doesn’t work that well with Drobo (slowing the system down!)

yeah, again, thats not a hardware thing, thats down to the filesystem, a direct attached storage couldnt accomplish what you require

Well, you need a backup.
drobo is not a backup. It is a redundant storage…

As Bytec says…

Drobo’s purpose in life is to not lose data, if/when a hard drive fails.

It, in and of itself, is not a backup solution. It is a storage device. It’s a great storage device to use with or as part of a backup solution, but itself it is not a backup solution.

I have a side-question for Mac folks (since I’m not a Mac guy)… Does can Time Machine restore a completely lost system?

In other words, if I was to remove the system drive and replace it with a completely blank one, can Time Machine restore the system to its previous state?

Secondly, if I were to replace the system drive and install a clean copy of the operating system, can Time Machine restore the system to its previous state?

If the answer to either question is Yes, then I would consider it a good backup and system recovery solution. If it is No, then it’s just a backup (can get old/delete files, but can’t restore a destroyed system).

I have not tested this personally but AFAIK to restore you system to a completely blank hard disk you need to have your Time Machine backup on a directly connected hard disk (e.g. USB or Firewire).
If you do Time Machine backups over the network to an Time Capsule device you can’t do this type of restore.
If you do Time Machine backups to an Airport with a USB attached hard disk you should be able to detatch it and directly attach it to your Mac.

If you replace the system drive and do a clean install of OS X from CD you won’t have any issues getting your files back from a Time Machine backup. The Migration Assistant will restore your files and Applications from your Time Machine backup.

[quote=“stefsegers, post:1, topic:1157”]

• versioning - when u accidentally delete files you should get an option to get it back. Or when you overwrite it, you should get back to a previous version. It’s not really neccecary to get back 10 versions, but maybe 2 versions should be great![/quote]

I agree that version handling is not the task for a storage device like Drobo. There are other solutions for that.

My favorite for version control and recovering deleted files is Dropbox. It saves up to 2GB and 30 days of versions and deleted files for free. You can pay to get more. The real purpose of Dropbox is to keep an identical set of files at many computers. I have it installed at home and office and never have to use USB thumb devices anymore. As bonus I get version control, easy sharing and Internet backup.
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI1OTQ0MjM5
(Please use this link and give me points for referring you. It will also give you 0.25GB more space for free.)

haha, i also have dropbox :wink:

hey guys,

I do understand it’s not a Drobo/hardware thing. Still there has to be a solution to protect human erros (like deleting files)

Dropbox is a great solution, but too small to use. 4 tb of video/images put online is to much this time.

Maybe anybody has another idea.

My 1st idea should be another Drobo and use sync software to make a copy every 3 hrs or so

Thanks ajspencer on the Time Machine details. Sounds like a very nice solution (and has the benefit of “comes with” the OS - I’m using Windows Home Server for similar).

Back to topic, on Windows I use Diskeeper Undelete for file versioning/undelete. Windows also has shadow copy for versioning too. Surely there must be an equivalent on Mac OS?

Your 3-hour sync solution makes for a good mirror and disaster-recovery, but unless it supports archived versions versus strict sync, you only have a 3-hour or less “window” to catch an error before things are re-synced and you no longer have the old version. This is why sync software often has big warnings that it is not a backup solution.

For keeping track of old/deleted versions, you need features like Dropbox - being able to look at “old” files.

A 3-hour incremental backup for highly-used stuff may work, though if you have lots of data, the comparison might weigh down the system.

It mainly depends on how often you change your data. Stuff that you frequently update would need to be backed up/archived more often, to avoid situations where you lose good changes along with bad ones.

[quote=“stefsegers, post:3, topic:1157”]I am using OSX and Time Machine should be fine, but doesn’t work that well with Drobo (slowing the system down!)
[/quote]

I used to use my Drobo for TM, but TM creates millions of files and I didn’t want all of those files on my Drobo. I use a USB external drive for TM now.

As for versioning, I use Crashplan+ to back up over 400 GB offsite.