Drobo

What is Drobo Dashboard and do I need it?

Drobo Dashboard is an optional software program that comes with Drobo. You don’t have to install Drobo Dashboard to use Drobo. However, Drobo Dashboard is recommended as it gives access to advanced functionality such as email alerts and is generally a useful utility that will help you understand details like precisely how much free capacity you have remaining and what Drobo is doing.

The Drobo Dashboard does not function in limited user mode, on either Mac OS-X, or Windows XP/Vista. Do I have to be logged on and active in Admin mode, in order for Dashboard to run and send e-mail alerts?

Why?

I use Drobo Dashboard just fine when logged in using my non-admin account (I installed Drobo Dashboard using the same non-admin account). When I logged in as someone else (I don’t recall which account, but it may have been my admin user), I had using Drobo Dashboard.

IMO, the functionality of Drobo Dashboard should be split between a GUI/interactive client process (which is started on-demand), and a server-type process. The email alert functionality of Drobo Dashboard should be handled by a daemon that is running regardless of who is logged in (and in fact should be able to be configured to start upon bootup so that it is running even if noone is logged in). That way, if there is anything of interest to report, an email alert will be sent out.

I have since fixed the problem, by installing Drobo Dashboard in my standard user account. But alas, now it no longer works for my Admin account, at least on the Mac, or any other account, for that matter. And of course it won’t run on XP or Vista in limited user mode, either.

I do have to disagree with Jennifer. Drobo Dashboard is NOT optional if you are using the DroboPro with iSCSI. It is the only way it will run, at least on a Mac.

I completely agree with splitting up the functionality of the Dashboard. Sensitive functions, such as Format, Volume Management, etc., should be Admin-only, while the e-mail/growl functions and the iSCSI initiator should be handled by a system-level daemon.

Yes, when I installed Drobo Dashboard using my non-admin account, it works fine using that account, but not with my admin account. If I recall, I can’t get it to stay up with my admin account.

I don’t have a DroboPro, but Drobo Dashboard should not have to be running to use it. If it is needed, IMO, that’s a bug (I did see your other posting elsewhere about this). I hope you filed a ticket with the tech support folks on this. In a Mac that’s used by various people (such as in a household), there’s no guarantee that the account who installed Drobo Dashboard will be logged in when others need access to the Drobo Pro (either on the same Mac or over the network).

I second the oppinion that it would be a good thing to separate the administrative and informative parts from each other.

Ill jump on with a small feature request. Please provide some type of config to have the drobo app in the finder bar OR the dock. I currently use DockDodger to remove the drobo app from the dock becuase you can get to all tools from the icon on the finder bar.

and to answer the question…No you dont “NEED” it running all the time…BUT if you dont have it running all the time you would not be notified of errors with disks or data.

Unfortunately, this isn’t quite true, at least with respect to the DroboPro and the Mac. Without Drobo Dashboard being initiated SOMEWHERE, the iSCSI initiator won’t be kicked off, and you will never be able to access the DroboPro.

Now, combine that with the fact that Drobo Dashboard won’t run at all on the Mac unless it has been installed on that PARTICULAR account, makes the DroboPro with iSCSI completely useless in any kind of a corporate environment, or in any kind of a shared use environment, e.g., within a household.

Given that fact, Tech Support has closed the support case I raised on this issue.

Now, I do understand that DRI is “working on” a solution that will make at least part of the Dashboard run as a daemon. But why on earth didn’t they think of this before they brought out the DroboPro?

Then again, the performance of the iSCSI is so disappointing, that you might as well run FW-800. Then you won’t need the Drobo Dashboard.