Drobo

What Happens if you Connect Both eSATA AND USB?

As the title says, what does the unit do?

Since the Dashboard does not work over eSATA, can I have the unit hooked up to my computer with both eSATA and USB at the same time, using eSATA for file transfers and USB for administrative purposes?

Afaik no

Hmm. Is there any way to poll the unit for its actual free space via eSATA? Via all the normal methods over eSATA it just reports the size of the thin-provisioned partition (in my case 7.87TB)

Are there any updates on this?

Adding a mode where config and management only is performed via USB and data transfers are via eSATA would be ideal…

You cannot use two different types of connections with the DroboS. The DroboS will check USB first for a connection, next Firewire, and then eSata. With having both USB and eSata connected, the DroboS will use the USB connection.

Thank you for your response.

I vaguely recall reading that a method of managing Drobo S units connected via eSATA was being considered for future firmware releases. Is this still being considered or has this effort been disbanded?

I do not have that information available to me. Your best bet is to open a case with Technical Support for that as a feature request. When any case closes with Technical Support you will receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey. There is a section just for the unit, with an area for feedback. Put that in the Feedback on the Customer Survey.

The Customer Surveys are looked at by our upper Management and our Engineers. All requests are taken seriously.

The effect is very similar to ‘crossing the streams’, and that’s bad. :smiley:

Dashboard should run over eSATA without problems.

Exactly. Dashboard should see the Drobo when connected over eSATA. If you have access to Dashboard you can manage your drobo.

Questions:

1. So, if I buy an eSATA card and connect my Drobo S with the eSATA connection, are you saying that all or only some Drobo Dashboard functions will not work ???

2. … Specifically, will I be able to have the Dashboard - Pie Chart correctly showing Info and will I be able ot use Dashboard’s - Shutdown Command on the eSATA connected Drobo S ???

mattlach,

Questions:

1. So, if I buy an eSATA card and connect my Drobo S with the eSATA connection, are you saying that all or only some Drobo Dashboard functions will not work ???

2. … Specifically, will I be able to have the Dashboard - Pie Chart correctly showing Info and will I be able ot use Dashboard’s - Shutdown Command on the eSATA connected Drobo S ???

I have a Drobo S and it’s connected via eSATA. I have no problem with using the Drobo Dashboard to control it. The Pie Chart appears correctly, and I have often used the Shutdown command from within the Dashboard to shut down the Drobo S.

The only hitch that I’ve found is that my Drobo never spins down the drives when I’m connected via eSATA, though they do spin down when connected via USB. I don’t know if that’s a bug in the firmware, or if mine is defective, but I’m guessing that I need to open a support ticket to find out.

Ray[hr]
Well, I did what I should’ve done a while back by doing a search in the Knowledge Base. The glitch with drives not spinning down when connected via eSATA is a known problem and they say that it’ll be fixed in an upcoming firmware. However, the KB article was dated 6/23/2009, and there’s been at least one firmware released since then (2.0.1 came out in January of this year), so that’s a little disappointing. This issue isn’t even listed in the release notes for 2.0.1 so maybe they’ve forgotten about it. Opening a support ticket now…

Ray

Thanks, for the confirmation that Dashboard works with eSATA. However, now that I learned from you that the drives do not spin down, under eSATA, I am going to wait before buying an eSATA card for connecting the Drobo S. No spin down of drives under eSATA is a hold off deal for me, in terms of connecting the Drobo S via eSATA.

Oh. Excellent. Is this new? I remember reading that it did not work over eSATA. I will have to try.

I’ve been in communication with a 3rd-tier tech support engineer who confirmed that the spin down problem is still an ongoing bug that they hope to fix at some point, but it’s lower in priority to some other issues. So until that bug is quashed you can either have lower speed via USB and save energy by having drives spin down during inactivity, or have higher speed and more energy consumption. I currently have 4 drives in mine, and the drives probably consume about 30 watts when just not under load, so the cost would be about $3/month for higher speed eSATA (not counting additional wear-n-tear on the drives). I think the higher speed is worth it, but your milage may vary.

DrBunsen,

For me, I am concerned with the unnecessary extra wear-n-tear on the hard drives and extra noise of drives always spinning (when i use the Drobo S during the day to Restore Backup Files or Image Backups, etc), but that is just me.
… When they fix eSATA to work as promised and work as a feature for eSATA which is what I paid for when I bought the Drobo S, then I will switch to an eSATA connection. But that is just me and my own bias that a product should work as advertised. In the mean time, I can make due with the USB speed, until the eSATA firmware “BUG” is fixed, as I use the Drobo S, at this point, mainly for System Partition and Data Partiton - Full Image Backups which run unattended during the middle of the night where time is not that critical.