VPN service running on Drobo FS?

Any bright spark know how to get a VPN server running on Drobo-FS?

Nope, and most likely it won’t happen ever. To summarize it in a very simplistic way, the Linux kernel of the FS is missing the TUN/TAP modules. I have asked DRI support if they would help me get these modules compiled, but I have got no answer so far…

maybe its a licene issue?
eg sometimes people who make modules and features only sell products or maybe dont want to allow companies to use them

These modules are part of the Linux kernel, so they are as free as they come.

As a matter of fact, I managed to get them compiled. That is the “easy” part. The problem is that the kernel of the FS won’t load them. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, i.e., I miscompiled something, or that the kernel is compiled (and linked) statically, and thus won’t load modules dynamically.

If the kernel is statically linked (which I believe it is), then unless DRI releases a firmware update with a new kernel containing the module we won’t be able to have a VPN server on the FS.

ok thanks for more info on that.

if the main aim is to have a standalone drobo connected via vpn, then it might be dependent on that but there shouldnt be anything to stop a drobo attached to a pc (runing vpn software) to be accessible :slight_smile: (and you can get small pc’s/shells)

Just FYI: I just proved myself wrong and managed to get OpenVPN compiled for the FS.

More information here: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=13577