I have recently gotten serious about setting up a best practice backup setup for my pc and that is why I bought the Drobo S, as my external drive backup strategy.
… Now that I am happy with the Drobo S and beyondraid protection it provides, I have recently started to think about a UPS to ensure file system integrity, in case of a power outage occurrence during the time period that either the Drobo drive is being written to in normal usage or during a rebuild/relayout period, etc.
… It is my understanding, from reading threads on this forum, posted by experts, that:
1) Both the PC and Drobo should be connected to a UPS.
2) The UPS software should be set to shut down/hibernate the PC on a power loss.
3) Following your computer shut down, the Drobo drive will go into standby mode. During the shutdown process data in filght to the Drobo is transferred safely.
4) Follwing your PC shuts down, the UPS then runs out of power and the Drobo drive safely shuts down from the standby mode.
1. Which type of UPS is recommended and/or best for protecting the Drobo S, - A Standby UPS or Line-Interactive UPS ?
2. Also, I have my Drobo S attached to a Notebook pc which when docked at the desk, acts as my desktop pc replacement ? Does anyone know whether a UPS can be used on a notebook/laptop pc without issues ?