Drobo

Unable to get Elite to talk to Snow Leopard Server

Anyone out there with suggestions for how to get the Drobo Elite to talk with a Snow Leopard server?

Here’s my info
Snow Leopard Server version 10.6.2
(all current updates. This server can NOT be blown out and reinstalled at this time nor would I expect to have to do this . . .)

2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB 1066 MHz RAM
Firewall is OFF
Dashboard 1.6.5 (tried latest 1.6.8 but nothing too)

Customer Support suggested I try the forum before returning this unit since it isn’t working as advertised.

The ONLY machine I was able to get our Brand New Drobo Elite to see and talk with over iSCSI was a clean install of Snow Leopard (with upgrades) 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro and ONLY Drobo Dashboard 1.6.5 running nothing else. Works fine on this machine ONLY and in fact works over our network as well.

Now back to the server, I’ve tried opening up the 3260 ports from the command line. I can see an ip connection established of some type, via command line both lsof and netstat, but then NO drive mounting and NO Dashboard admin stuff or iSCSI connection. I can get Dashboard to see Elite via USB.

I also have same problem on my PowerBook G4 running Leopard 10.5.8, won’t talk over iSCCI but will talk over USB.

Hoping someone can point me the way to log files or Unix commands which will enable Drobo to talk with server as this is what I need it for. Maybe a program which is fighting Dashboard?

Thoughts? Help? I’m happy to post logs, etc.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Scott

UPDATE to my last post

Ok, so I completely uninstalled 1.6.8 from my server. Reinstalled 1.6.5 and just happened to plug the Drobo into our network and wouldn’t you know it the server mounted the Drobo Elite!

I didn’t want to use it this way as I was hoping to have a direct connection via the second nic on the server but when I plug into the second nic nothing . . .

Also, don’t get the Drobo to mount when I plug directly into the network nic with our network settings . . . hmmm Perhaps the Drobo and/or server like having a router between them? What can I look for in the server which might help with recognizing the Drobo? thoughts?

Thank you!

Scott

This sounds like you have not configured your network correctly.

What you would normally do is use two separate subnets on the network interfaces.

If both network interfaces are configured in the same subnet then it would probably be using the first Nic by default and so not find the Drobo attached to the second Nic.

iSCSI does not work on Power PC Macs. That is why your G4 does not work on iSCSI.
http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/219/kw/iscsi/r_id/100004