Drobo

Tuning the filesystem with tune2fs

I have a Drobo 2G here with an 8TB LUN allocated with the following 4 drives inserted (in this order):

ST31000333AS
ST3750640AS
ST31000333AS
ST3750640AS

query capacity result:
(434244325376, 2047640694784, 2481885020160, 0)
Physical space… used: 2047640694784 free: 434244325376 Total: 2481885020160

drobo says firmware revision: 1 . 249 ( 17433 ) was built: Mar 19 2009,17:24:03

I have a few trillion files stored across the array (mirrors of things like CPAN, Project Gutenberg, Cygwin, hundreds of OSS source trees, system backups for dozens of systems, etc.)

I need to tune this filesystem using tune2fs (adding journal_data_ordered, sparse_super, dir_index, uninit_bg and filetype), but I want to make sure that when I do, I don’t break the Drobo underlying ‘fsck’ that runs at power-on, because it expects something in a different format than what it will be getting.

Since the underlying thin-provisioning stack is a black box (literally and figuratively), I don’t exactly know WHAT is expects to find on the physical disk platters.

Can someone who has either done this, or has a bit more knowledge let me know if this is possible? I certainly do NOT want to lose this data.

Thanks in advance.

Your firmware sounds kind of old??
I’m at 1.3.5 [1.252.21110] according to Drobo Dashboard.

Where does one obtain the latest firmware? Note that I’m on Linux, so installing any sort of Windows’y dashboard to obtain it, is not an option. I Google’d around, but can’t find any valid links to the firmware itself.

Ideas?[hr]

[quote="hacker, "]
Where does one obtain the latest firmware? Note that I’m on Linux, so installing any sort of Windows’y dashboard to obtain it, is not an option. I Google’d around, but can’t find any valid links to the firmware itself. [/quote]

Replying to myself, I think I found it here:

http://www.drobo.com/support/updates.php

yep, cunningly hidden :stuck_out_tongue:

im curious to know how you install a firmware update without dashboard though?

you can either use the linux dashboard, which has all the same buttons as the windows & Mac ones, or
from the command line:

drobom fwcheck # see if there is new GA firmware

drobom fwupgrade # download and install the latest General Availability firmware.

drobom shutdown # get the drobo to reboot to activate it.

Oh ok, hackers previous comment made it sound like there was no linux dashboard