Drobo

Stop data protection rebuild?

How does one go about stopping a rebuild?

Backstory: I am pulling all my files off of my drobo (roughly 1.25tb when started) so that I can set it up to take more than 2tbs. I got down to about 300gb before it when into a rebuild (flashing orange and green). At this point we are going into its third day and really don’t want to wait for a full rebuild just so I can clear it out and start over again.

that isnt enough information

what do you mean by stopping it? its doing it because there’s a problem!

why did it start rebuilding? just sponteanously?

if thats so, then it sounds like the strain of taking everything off it caused one of your disks to temporarily stop responding so it dropped out of the array!

what do you mean by “set up to take more than 2Tb” - you dont need to take your files off of the device to do that?

please explain:

1. why you are taking your files off
  2. why you need to have them off to support more than 2TB
  3. what you were doing when it started to rebuild
  4. if you have a backup? (if you do then simply pull all the drives out which will ruin your array but stop the rebuild)

Chris

do you have the files on there backs up?[hr]
that isnt enough information

what do you mean by stopping it? its doing it because there’s a problem!

why did it start rebuilding? just sponteanously?

if thats so, then it sounds like the strain of taking everything off it caused one of your disks to temporarily stop responding so it dropped out of the array!

what do you mean by “set up to take more than 2Tb” - you dont need to take your files off of the device to do that?

please explain:

1. why you are taking your files off
  2. why you need to have them off to support more than 2TB
  3. what you were doing when it started to rebuild
  4. if you have a backup? (if you do then simply pull all the drives out which will ruin your array but stop the rebuild)

Chris

do you have the files on there backs up?

why did it start rebuilding? No idea, just started at some point during a file transfer

just sponteanously? Yes

Any tool I can use to know if in fact this is the case?

When I first set up the system I set it up as a 2tb set up, I would like to expand to a large max size. (Don’t ever recall having the option of picking a max size but non-the-less, I have 4 1tb hdds I’d like to use)

why you are taking your files off Want more space

why you need to have them off to support more than 2TB from my research, you could not reset your drobo to handle a larger size without reformatting.

what you were doing when it started to rebuild
Was mid file transfer

if you have a backup? I had 300+ gbs left to pull off the drive, would prefer not to loose those files. But in the grand scheme of things they can be done with out, but only if this rebuild takes much more time.

If your goal is to have Drobo host more than 2TB of storage, just add more drives. Drobo will add more virtual volumes (drive letters) as necessary so you can access all the protected storage.

Now if you want to have one big volume and you initially set up your Drobo for 2TB volumes and you have a regular Drobo (not Drobo PRO, PRO FS, or Elite), then you need to reset your Drobo to use larger sizes, and therefore should copy/move all your data off beforehand, as reset is a destructive process.

Unless you are running Dual-Disk Redundancy, losing a disk at this point will result in COMPLETE DATA LOSS.
Trying to continue the copy while the rebuild is running will only put maximum stress on Drobo, and if Docchris is right that the data pull overstressed things (perhaps the PSU is marginal, difficult to tell), then doing the data pull during rebuild is highly risky.

If you already have a backup of your data, then I would go the “just reset” route - you’ll have to copy the data back regardless, and moving it off it just a waste of time.

If you do not have a backup of your data, I would wait until the rebuild completes before continuing your data migration. Then seriously consider some kind of backup strategy. One copy of your data is NOT enough, no matter how safe/secure/whatever that copy is.

You say the remaining data can be done without… so I guess it’s really up to you.

As bhiga says - you currently have a 2TB volume - if you add more disk space - drobo will make ADDITIONAL 2Tb volumes to give it space to hold your files. if you added 10TB worth of disks then drobo would make five 2TB volumes for you.

To answer your original question - you cannot stop the rebuild - but you can carry on removing your files while it rebuilds.

since you have 4 disks and one of them temporarily dropped out of the array - if you stopped the rebuild you currently have no way of knowing which three hold your remaining data and which one is being rebuilt onto.

if you were not given the choice of formatting to partitions larger than 2tB i can only guess you were using windows XP (whicch cant support paritions larger than 2TB) ? - this is another reaosn why drobo is setup to make multiple partitions - that way it gets around the per-partition limit

Right, but I did not want to have a bunch of 2tb volumes, would prefer a single volume.

As for the rebuild issue: it looked like the drobo was at a complete freeze, occasionally the fan would spin up but zero other sounds coming from it. So I when a head and unplugged the unit. Before I brought it back up I made sure the dashboard and then plugged in the unit. After a few minutes I am able to access my drive again.

So, after reading what Docchris and said, what is too much stress? At this point I have 300GBs, give or take, to get off, how do I know how much drobo can handle (I have the first gen)?[hr]
So, dashboard finally started showing some progress, fluctuatingbetween 40hrs and 25hrs, hoping it’ll actually be much less.

In my research I could not find this answer and I might as we ask now. Say I did have the 2tb limit and I put a total of 4 1tb hdds in and that would make 2 2tb volumes (depending on what protecting i take). Are the backed up over all for drives or will each pair only backup each other? I guess what I am getting at, if I have the 4 drives and two die for one of the volume, am I still protected?

I know there was a trade off of load time with the larger volumes, so does having two volumes load quicker?

After the rebuild is complete, and before you reset things, send you diagnostic log to DRI/Drobo and explain the situation. They should be able to analyze your log and tell you what happened. If it was a drive timeout, they can help you identify which drive had the hiccup.

You need to wait until after the rebuild is done because getting the log will restart the rebuild process.

As for having two volumes, I didn’t see a huge impact on my WHSv1 (Server 2K3) machine compared to my current WHS2011 (Server2K8) setup, but on Vista x64 I had about 20 minute delay to full boot (between the Windows logo screen and desktop/login). On Win 7 x64 I don’t have the issue. Seems to vary by configuration.

Still, I prefer to have one large 16TB volume.

Thanks bhiga, I guess, when I do restart, I can shut down the drobo and unplug till windows is all the way up (win 7 64).

I’ll pull the log together when it’s done rebuild, sadly still at 24 hrs.

Just to update anyone else that might run into the same issue, here is a break down of my issue:

[list]
[] Had a first gen drobo with 3 1TB hdds and one 320gb
[
] Wanted to expand the drobo from the 2tb config to a larger one
[] Had roughly 1.25TB of data on the drobo at the time (movies, music, photos, website project files, etc)
[
] Started moving the files off to other HDDs I had, splitting the data between them on a Thrusday
[] Got down to having as little as 330GBs left on a Saturday night before heading to bed and started what would have been the last bit of transferring I had to do
[
] Somewhere between 12am Sunday morning and 8am Sunday morning the drobo when into rebuild and which time Windows 7 stopped seeing the drobo
[] I unplugged the USB and shut down my computer and brought it back up and plugged in USB and still did not read the drobo. So I did the “wait and see” thing till about 8pm Monday
[
] After shutting down and bringing the computer up a few more times and trying a bunch of other “hardware changes” stuff, I decided to give it another day.
[] Tuesday around 8pm or so I, after repeating the shutdown and bring up steps, shut down the drobo by unplugging it. I shut down my computer and when it came back up I turned on the dashboard and then started up the drobo
[
] After about ten minutes the drobo showed up and was able to use it
[] Started moving files off it again but just doing a copy and not a straight move
[
] Every now and then the transfers would just die and I decided to just wait for the rebuild to finish
[] Fast forward to Thursday the drobo had made zero progress and zero sound was coming from the drobo, no fan, no “i’m processing” sounds
[
] Shut the drobo down again and it kicked start the process again but this time, as it was coming up, I noticed one of the drives was red for a few seconds.
[] The next day, saw the drobo made no progress again, I took that drive out that was red. A few hours later there was some progress on the rebuild.
[
] Today, a full week after the rebuild started, my drobo finally finished the rebuild.
[/list]

Not sure if any of the steps I took helped or hindered the progress; first guess is it helped since, at some points, there was not action happening.

I will be waiting till Wednesday to finish out what I started a week and a half ago.

to answer your previous question - all of your data is spread over all of the drives

to answer your previous question - all of your data is spread over all of the drives