Just an update to everyone that I never got my problems solved for either of my Drobo units mentioned above. At one point my issue was elevated to an engineering person on the phone because, I think, of my persistence. Drobo CS kept closing my ticket after not responding for two weeks and I kept replying (politely) to that message so that I would be back in the queue.
This is unacceptable. I was patient, polite, and spent 5-8 hours every week or every other week for something like 7 or 8 months, trying various solutions and often the same solutions over and over again. If you didn’t read all of the thread above, I also tried using different USB PCI cards in different PCs and USB3 docs and so forth all to no avail. Every time losing hours or days trying to jury rig a solution instead of Drobo Customer Service helping.
I asked if I could somehow flash to a previous firmware as I’m fairly convinced this is the only real solution, but this fell on deaf ears. I think it might not even be possible. I sent in my logs I don’t know how many times and danced a merry jig of hard drives and devices while carefully monitoring copies and performance over lengthy periods of time in order to help give them data to work with. I captured video of the issue and sent it along so they could see the behavior. I did this with 2 PCs and a Macbook Pro (which never suffered the issues, so it’s clearly a Windows PC/USB3/Drobo issue) every time there was another go around with a copy/connection attempt. I never ranted or raved, insulted or was down on them. I pointed them to this thread to show that I was not alone and there is some sort of persistent issue going on here. I gave up entirely some time in September or October (I can’t remember). I thought I’d come back here randomly to see if anyone had more luck than I have had. Looks like you’re all suffering the same issues as I am–with your units and with Drobo CS.
My company has already decided to move to a competitor product. The CS issues alone make Drobo untenable as a professional solution. If you’re facing this issue and waiting for Drobo CS to do something about it, I suggest you do the same.
If anyone at Drobo reads this and would like to discuss this further, you have my email many times over. I’m still willing to help you find a solution, but I’m done chasing you down to make it happen. I’m sorry it’s come to this point. Up until these issues, my Drobos worked perfectly.