Drobo

Solution Drobo 5D USB 3 disconnect or slow data transfer

Just bought a USB 3.0 hub and connected the Drobo… :worried::worried: still the same wavy speed horror. Drobo support, please do something!!!

UPDATE Oct 17:
Drobo support is horrible. They simply say that they are not aware of any issues with firmware/USB. Can’t believe it …
My decision to move away from Drobo is made. Will replace the Drobo with a larger Synology in a few months.
For now I have connected my Drobo Gen 3 to my Synolgy NAS via USB and it works fine. Can access my Drobo data now from everywhere.

Did not work for me. :worried:
The latest Drobo firmware update must be the reason for all these problems. It is very annoying and I dump Drobo completely and go for a 2nd Synology NAS in some months.

I’m sorry I didn’t update earlier. But I believe I’ve found one issue that has not been mentioned elsewhere.

There is some kind of compatibility issue between Drobo and Western Digital software. When WD’s Security or Drive Utilities apps are installed, the Drobo exhibits the speed and connectivity issues mentioned above, making the Drobo entirely useless. As far as I can tell, WD Discovery and Backup apps do not have the same drastic negative impact on Drobo performance.

However, even without the WD Security and Drive Utilities apps installed, the Drobo dashboard sometimes does not recognize a Drobo is connected even as I can access all my files at expected speeds through Windows Explorer. And I’ve sometimes received a few device controller errors (I believe but am not positive for both the Drobo and for an external HD) as I’ve attempted to backup my files on the Drobo to an external WD passport hard drive, which seems to have had some issues completing as it used to before all my problems began a few months ago.

I’ve been in touch with both WD and Drobo support. Both effectively said it is something the other company should look into. Drobo said that the security app encrypting and decrypting the drive would cause a performance drop, but it seems a stretch to me that the impact would slow the Drobo to hover close to 0 mb/s. And that doesn’t explain why the Drive Utilities app would have the same negative impact. WD said they “do not have expertise on third party enclosures” and suggested I run diagnostics on the individual drives in the Drobo.

I’m using Windows 10 with 4 WD Red 3 TB drives in a 5D3. All software is up to date, and the problem(s) persisted after buying a new computer.

I’m not a technical person so am hoping someone else here is and might have some ideas. I’m also curious if anyone else can replicate the same findings. But mostly I’m hoping Drobo and WD fix this issue, as I imagine I can’t be the only one.

My problems were similar to yours described July 18. After the last Windows 10 update my 5D3 with 4 Seagate 4TB was not recognized by Windows anymore and had horrible performance (extreme wavy). Drobo support said they don’t know of any issues like this. Instead of helping they simply leave you alone with the problem. I decided then for a rather unusual solution. Instead of directly attaching to the PC’s USB 3.1 I connected it to my Synology NAS USB 3.0 as an external device and it has been working fine so far. Can’t use Drobo dashboard anymore. Advantage is I can access my Drobo now from anywhere and anytime.