Hi! I just want to post to say that I’ve just experienced exactly what cspvideoandmediallc posted about last November and I’ve implemented the same solution.
The TL;DR of all the below is this: I think the Drobo Dashboard/Drivers are incompatible with the USB 3.0/3.1 chipset/USB generic and ASMedia drivers on Intel-based motherboards.
I’ve come to this conclusion after a very trying, very difficult 6 weeks of crossing a hard drive and data hellscape and just today finally yielding some results.
I’m not an engineer and have no way proving the above statement, so please don’t take this as me dunking on Drobo, but I want to share my experience so that anyone else finding these issues can take similar steps and perhaps the folks at Drobo can take another look at these issues instead of just telling me to factory reset my Drobo again.
I’ve got two PCs and two Drobo units. A 5D and an a 5D3. Both units experience the same issues on both PCs when plugged into any of the USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ports on the motherboard. One of my PCs also has an ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard with a USB-C port. Out of curiosity I used a USB-3 to USB-C adapter to try that one out. Same issues.
To be clear, my Drobo 5D worked fine for probably over a year, but I was getting lots of weird slowdowns that just seemed to be getting worse over time. Finally, transfers became nearly impossible if they were larger than a few GBs because of the slowdown/stop. I had to cancel transfers and sometimes relaunch Windows Explorer before I could shutdown windows. Often, when shutting down windows, I’d get an error like this:
This was all on my PC in my home office. Finally I brought it into work this week and tried what I should have tried a long time ago, and tried my 5D on my office PC. Same errors, same slowdowns, same results. Totally different (and old) Intel motherboard & other hardware. Clearly, I thought, my 5D was the problem. But then I took a 5D3 we have here at the office, swapped my same hard drives into that chassis, and all it did was give me all the same issues across both PCs and in all my USB ports.
Finally, I tried the USB hub in PC#2’s PCI slot. Everything is working just as it should. No slowdowns, no errors, currently transferring top speed.
Here’s my totally uneducated guess: I think Windows updates and Drobo Dashboard updates have come into conflict. The slowdown over time, either from Windows 10 updating drivers in the background or from Drobo Dashboard updates, or the combination of the two, has crippled at least some models of the Drobo DAS line under Windows 10. I suspect the reason why I don’t see 1000 forum posts with people all over complaining about this issue is that it might very well be a specific motherboard/driver combination and is perhaps an edge case.
Either that or everyone out there, like me, was convinced there was something wrong with my USB ports/drivers even though every other external drive/device that I have are all working perfectly well and have been throughout all of the above.
Anyway, unless someone from Drobo is able to track this down and fix their software (or figure out where Microsoft is breaking things if it’s not a Drobo software issue), then it seems the only solution is to get some kind of “generic” USB expansion card for an empty PCIE slot and plug your Drobo into that.
I hope this helps someone else out there avoid similar pain!