Drobo

Smart Volumes

Hello everyone.
Just got my DroboPro today, and its working like a champ!

Quick, and maybe a newbie question…

I only have one volume set when I initially set it up. I told it the max of 16TB.
Now, if I want to manually add a volume now (let’s say a volume just for itunes media), can I delete the new volume (the itunes media one) at a later date?

Now the big, maybe stupid question.
After deleting the new volume, does the data on that volume get erased? Or does the data just get moved back to the main volume?

Also, I read in the manual that you can always switch back to auto. After reading a post here, I’m under the impression that if you switch back to auto, the Drobo has to restart and reformat, which I take it erases everything on the Drobo?

Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“zgmg, post:1, topic:349”]Now, if I want to manually add a volume now (let’s say a volume just for itunes media), can I delete the new volume (the itunes media one) at a later date?

Now the big, maybe stupid question.After deleting the new volume, does the data on that volume get erased? Or does the data just get moved back to the main volume?[/quote]You can delete any volumes that you create in manual mode but when you delete a volume, everything on it is gone.

[quote=“zgmg, post:1, topic:349”]Also, I read in the manual that you can always switch back to auto. After reading a post here, I’m under the impression that if you switch back to auto, the Drobo has to restart and reformat, which I take it erases everything on the Drobo?[/quote]yea, this is incorrect in the manual. Once you move to manual there is no going back. You have to reformat the entire drobopro to get back to auto mode.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Good info, they should correct that in the manual. I’m sure someone has freaked out by now thinking they could switch back. not good.

thanks again.