Drobo

Slow USB speed...

I am plugged into the Drobo from my Dell Precision laptop. I am copying data off of the Drobo and onto a new 2TB eSata connected disk. The Drobo is just performing reads. It contains 4 1TB Seagate Baracuda top of the line drives. My performance is about 5MB/s. I am looking at tests online and people are seeing 30MB/s on average. At the current rate, I will be done copying data in 4 or 5 days.

What am I doing wrong? How can I speed this up?

Just as a test, I copied a 1GB file from my internal HDD to the new eSata disk and it moved the data at 155MB/s.

I am a huge fan, but need help with this.

thanks
joe

You didn’t say what version of firmware and whether it’s a 1st or 2nd Gen Drobo. That might help sort it out as I did see some throughput improvement with later versions of the firmware. Also, is it just Drobo on the USB port or are you using a USB hub?

I’ve rarely (if ever) seen 30MB/s even with FW800 when reading. With USB 2.0 it’s much worse. While 5MB/s is on the low end of what I’ve experienced it seems believable.

It is a 1st Gen with fw 1.6.8. It is on its own dedicated USB port on the Dell Precision.

It is a 1st Gen with fw 1.6.8. It is on its own dedicated USB port on the Dell Precision.

the first gen is very slow, but shouldnt really be that slow.

how old is the laptop? its definitely hooked up to a usb 2 port right?

The laptop is a year old. It is a Dell beast… Dual Core, Dual Internal HDD, 8GBs of RAM.[hr]
The laptop is a year old. It is a Dell beast… Dual Core, Dual Internal HDD, 8GBs of RAM.

When was the last time you ran CHKDSK on the drobo?

its been a while…[hr]
its been a while…

I would recommend running it and see how your performance is after that.