Drobo

Slow Performance w/ MacMini

Read through a bunch of the threads here, didn’t see anyone saying anything consistent with what I’m experiencing.

Got a Drobo v2 in april, it’s at about 50% capacity (4x1.5 TB WD Green drives) and lately I’ve been experiencing some real problems. I get horribly slow transfer rates between the drobo and the mac mini it’s connected to.

The biggest problem lately is that when I’m trying to watch a video off it (my itunes library is on it) it hangs periodically, and basically the only way to get it going again is to stop and start the video again.

I’m using FW800, but I swapped out to USB 2.0 and got the same speeds (around 5-6 MB/s transfer rate). Running Snow Leopard.

The most consistent suggestion was to run disk repair (I did that, no problems) so I’m wondering - what’s next? Is this thing broken? Or is the problem between the monitor and the back of the chair?

I would suggest opening a support case with Tech Support.

[quote=“Exit56, post:1, topic:744”]The most consistent suggestion was to run disk repair (I did that, no problems) so I’m wondering - what’s next? Is this thing broken? Or is the problem between the monitor and the back of the chair?
[/quote]

I’m currently experiencing the same problem, except mines one sided in that if I copy a file from the drobo to the macmini a 450mb file transfers in less than a minute, but if I take the same file back to the drobo it take about an hour to transfer.

I noticed my problem started after using a program called “MetaX” on 32 m4v files directly on the drobo. I have opened a case file to try and resolve my issue, I’ve ran disk check/repair and it all checks out ok. Activity Monitor is indicating a transfer rate of 1.02 mb per second to the drobo.

I have pretty much the same problem. I opened a support case weeks ago and communication on DRI end ceased a week ago. I am very frustrated because I used to be able to stream 720p video no problem, now it takes longer to transfer even standard def content to my internal hd then the length of the video.

It is probably not an option for any of you, since it basically necessitates a 2nd Drobo with a full set of disks, but if your Drobo “wears down” because of cumulative fragmentation, as explained in this thread, the recovery may imply reformatting of the Drobo and full data restore.
I have had a performance case open with Data Robotics for two months, without any clear answer after tons of experiments.
In my case, firmware 1.3.7 provided some improvement, but it did not make the problem disappear.

Afraid we are close to some “original sin” of the “Beyond Raid” algorithm used by Drobos :(.

I did actually scan through that thread. I had to do the same thing with my Drobo, but performance wasn’t always bad. It has been bearable up until about a month ago. I also do not have the option of formatting my Drobo.