Drobo

shutdown / powerup script

I (automatically) backup a server two times a day, on my Drobo FS. Currently my Drobo is always on, consuming power. I’d like to be able to run a backup on my Mac, and when it is finished call a scipt to shut down the Drobo. Then when the backup is about to begin, I’d like to wake it up again.

Currently, the only way I can do this is by manually shutting down and firing up the drobo. Which is pretty inconvenient.

So: I’d like to be able to run an automated script to shutdown and wakeup my Drobo FS.

Does anybody have such a basic script? Or can you create one?

The FS does not have a sleep mode like a PC.

It does spin down the disks after a while, if configured to do so, and if there is no DroboApp keeping open files on the disk pack.

The motherboard, however, does not support any kind of standby. Although this may be a problem, you have to keep in mind that it does not consume much power with all the disks powered down.

You probably can use some kind of applescript on the Drobo Dashboard to shutdown the FS, but once off there is no way to turn the FS back on besides the power button.

Disappointing to hear the Drobo does not have a sleep/stanbye mode to save power consumption.

Personally, I have never been able to get my drobo to spin down, it keeps running all the time. And in this spinning mode it consumes much more energy than my mac mini does. This ’ always running’ seems not very healthy for the disks (have had one crash after just a few months and yet another started making an awful sound the other day).

Anyway, thanks for your clear answer Ricardo!

It is ok. The FS motherboard is pretty power-efficient.

Check which drobo apps are running on your Drobo, and if you have any “chatter” on your network keeping the Drobo up. Mine sleeps just fine.

‘Always running’ is not particularly bad for drives, actually. Constant speed, constant temperature, that is the best. I can’t find a link right now, but with a bit of googling I could probably find the recommendations that say that the most dangerous period for a disk is the spinning up, since it puts an extra load on the mechanical parts.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

maybe there is a software controlled, UPS / power device, that can communicate via usb, and turn off power to the unit, and then also be able to turn it on again. (the “standby mode” of that device (assuming it exists) would still draw power, but not sure how much)