I have read a lot of information out there on the issues around SMR.
In general, it seems like everyone agrees with these:
- The drives generally perform OK as long as they are not under continual heavy load
- Consequently, when used in RAID (or RAID-like) systems rebuild times are much, much slower (up to 10x the time to rebuild)
Here are ones that I have seen anecdotally and consequently am not confident of. Does anyone know whether any of them are true (and ideally why):
- SMR drives will fail faster in a RAID system
- Drobo does not support SMR drives
- Drobo does not recommend SMR drives