Drobo

Should I shut down my FS?

I’ve been allowing my Drobo FS to run pretty much 24/7, and I’ve noticed that the fan never stops blowing, even though the hdds are set to spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity; also, the power brick tends to get pretty hot. Are these things normal? Should I be shutting my FS down at night?

I was just about to ask the same question. Would it be better for the Drobo to be kept on 24/7 on shutdown when your not using it and turned back on again when you want to?

A NAS is usually not supposed to be turned off, I don’t even put it on spin down, this will preserve disks, all that stopping and starting to spin is not good, unless you want to preserve electricity :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info! Guess I am keeping my baby on 24/7, and if anything were to happen to it…well that’s where drobo care comes in :smiley:

24/7 for me as well. Too bad the fan doesn´t stop and too bad it isn´t a silent fan in the first place. Im considering to replace the fan to make it dead silent.

It of course depends on your usage, if you only connect to it 1 time a week, put it in spindown, if you use it like me, running music every day, watching movies, connecting from work etc etc, keep it on 24/7

24/7 for me as well. I have spin down set at an hour so its quiet over night and when I’m not using it for a long time.

graviton’s point about spin down is valid that you don’t want drives spinning up/down constantly, but i’m on the side that also feels its bad to have your drives spinning constantly when you aren’t using them for hours/days. Of course, none of this would matter if the Drobo support SSD drives! :slight_smile:

For anyone interested, http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-57656.html has some points about the spin down topic and a few other links to read.

For those interested in power consumption, I recorded some instantaneous power usage stats for my Drobo FS.

powered off: 1.9-2.1 Watts
on with no disks: 11-11.3 Watts
3 disks spun down: 15-16 Watts
3 disks spinning: 36-37 Watts
3 disks active: 40-41 Watts

Based on this, my Drobo FS with 3 drives spinning 24/7 consumes roughly 315 kWh/yr compared to roughly 88 kWh/yr if it was not spinning at all. Obviously real usage would be somewhere in the middle.

I also found that the specs for my drives report 300,000 start/stop cycles which is roughly 164 cycles per day over a 5 year period.