Drobo

Salvaging Time Machine data

I used to use a 1 TB Time Capsule for my Time Machine backups, but the power supply seems have failed, even though it is only about 18 months old.

Assuming I could find all of the receipts and prove that I bought it in conjunction with one of my three Macs, the folks at the Apple store said that they would replace it for me.

However, if they do that, they send the old unit back to Apple to be scrapped, along with my data. And if I open it up in order to salvage the data, that would void the warranty. So I’m screwed either way.

For that reason, I decided to salvage the data, and the drive, and to never buy another disk drive that wasn’t easily removable. So I laboriously peeled off the rubber pad on the bottom, undid the tiny screws, and removed the drive, a 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM device. Interestingly, I had to remove a thin pair of wires that we attached to the drive case, but were not connected electrically. I finally deduced that it was a temperature sensor. Too bad the unit didn’t tell me that it was getting hot, before the power supply crapped out and I couldn’t recover the data!

I’m planning to copy all of the data to the DroboPro, but I’m a little puzzled by the format. When I connected the drive with a USB-to-SATA adapter, not one but THREE volumes popped up on my dashboard. One was the name I had given it – “Time Capsule,” with 998GB and 47.92 GB free. But in addition, there were two other volumes, APconfig and APswap, both with 1.07 GB and 1.05GB free. APconfig contains one file, AFP.reconnnect_keys, which I assume contains the Airport WiFi configuration and keys. APswap has 21.5MB used, but doesn’t seem to contain any files, unless they are hidden.

The Time Capsule volume contains a file name with my machine name followed by _001d4f48b8e4.sparsebundle. But when I click on it, I don’t see anything=, although Get Info says there are 130K files.

Is it sufficient to merely copy these files, and then restart Time Machine?

Can you mount the .sparsebundle file? It is the one that holds the backups.