Drobo

root password reset on reboot - DroboApp to "fix"

I’m really reluctant to release this app but it’s been too long waiting for DRI to fix it.

http://drobo.pwn.me/drobo-packages/fpass-0.1.zip

Hi!

Can you describe how your application works? I mean how do you save/restore passwd files ?

Should be very usefull until an official fix.

Regards

Sure.

The DroboFS is an embedded linux system and uses /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to store account details.

When the drobo reboots it essentially rebuilds these files undoing any user changes.

My package essentially consists of two files:

fpass - shell script that, when run makes a copy of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in a tar file calles /etc/p.tar.

service.sh - shell script that simply extracts these files back into place. This is run automatically by the Drobo at boot.

Unfortunately, although the documentation gets you to document correct shutdown of droboapps (service.sh stop etc), it doesn’t appear to be implemented so I can’t make the persistence automatic.

As such, you have to run fpass to “snapshot” your password changes.

The third file in the application is the install.sh installation script. It simply creates a symlink for fpass in /usr/bin so you don’t can just execute at the command line:

fpass

Instead of having to use the full path:

/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/fpass/bin/fpass

Kind Regards,

Red

Thanks for this, but I agree 100% that this absolutely should NOT be necessary. DRI need to fix this, and fix it soon… It’s OK for them to reset passwords if you use the “paperclip” reset, but not for just an ordinary reboot.

I fully agree that DRI needs to be beaten for this but, in the meantime I have provided a way for people to secure their machines.

Thanks for your feedback.

It works fine here, but again I agree DRI must fix this issue.

For anyone using this app to get around the password reset issue, a new version of dropbear was posted tonight. The webpage with the FS apps is still not updated, but both versions are posted there if you look at the downloads. Here is the folder: http://www.drobo.com/droboapps/apps/53/ The 6/2 version is the updated/fixed version…read the readme or the other thread about this issue.