After receiving my DroboPro and going through several issues in converting from a 4 TB volume (created with four 1 TB drive on my original V1 Drobo) to a 16TB volume, I ended up adding four 2 TB drives to the original four 1 TB drives.
Now, with dual disk redundancy, I have 7.21 TB available and 2.67 TB (37%) used. that’s more than I need, at the moment, at least until the price of the 2 TB drives comes down some more.
However, on my Archive Drobo, I have four 1 TB drives, and I am in the yellow, with 245 TB used and only 244GB of free space available.
Unfortunately, buying another 2TB drive wouldn’t help, contrary to what the Drobo Dashboard’s Suggested Actions says – I would need to add TWO 2 TB drives to effect in increase in protected space. (Obviously if the 2 TB drive failed, there would be no replacement, so they need to be added in pairs.)
But what if I “bulb-snatched” two of the 2TB drives from the DroboPro, and replaced them with two 1 TB drives from my Archive Drobo? I would have to do this one drive at a time, of course, but I should be able to simply swap the 2TB and 1 TB drives between machines, wait for everything to stabilize, and then do it again.
That would give me 3.6 TB on the Archive Drobo, and 5.44 TB available on the DroboPro.
But wait! Two 2 TB drives aren’t enough for really effective dual-drive redundancy – at least three are required.
So in fact I could move all of four of the 2 TB drives over to the V2 Drobo, bringing that up to 5.5TB, while the eight 1 TB drives on the DroboPro would result in having 5.44 TB of dual-drive redundancy space available on the DroboPro, as well.
That sounds like a reasonable plan, assuming it doesn’t impact performance.
Drobo Dashboard reports 25 hours to rebuild the V2 Archive Drobo, and 16 hours to rebuild the DroboPro. Meanwhile, despite having dual-disk redundancy enabled, Drobo Dashboard is telling me that it can’t protect my data, and not to remove any hard drives. I won’t, of course, but it would be be nice to get a more informative message.
Now the Archive Drobo attached to the Mac mini is reporting 62 hours to finish laying out everything, but the DroboPro is down to 12 hours.
In the meantime, I can’t seem to get e-mail notification from the Mac mini for some reason – it says “501 Syntactically invalid HEO argument(s)” although the parameters specified are identical to those specified on the Mac Pro, which does work properly. ???