Drobo

Replacing drives

Hi All,

Currently I have a Drobo FS with 2 1TB drives in it (for total of 2 TB space, 1TB usable).

I am ordering 2 new 2TB drives, and hoping to replace the existing 1TB drives with the new 2TB drives.

How should I go about doing this…replacing both of the existing 1TB drives with new 2TB drives…

Thanks
Ravneet

First off, unless you have some purpose in mind for those 2 x 1TB drives, there’s no reason to remove them. Just add the 2 x 2TB drives to empty slots and enjoy. It’s the one thing on the Drobo platform that really does work well.

Now, if you really want those 1TB drives back, here’s what you’ll need to do:

1. Remove one 1TB drive.
  2. Insert one 2TB drive. It will take a while for rebuilding to occur - several hours at least, possibly a couple days. Wait it out until the lights are green again.
  3. Remove one 1TB drive.
  4. Insert one 2TB drive. It will take a while for rebuilding to occur - several hours at least, possibly a couple days.

You can’t just remove both (since then there’s no data for the Drobo to copy to the new drives), and you also can’t load both drives, then remove the old ones at the same time.

Thanks diamond. I get the process now…right now I do not have a urgent purpose for the 1TB’s but who doesnt have data to fill onto extra drives :slight_smile:

I guess I will keep them both in there for a while, atleast until I get $$$ to buy more 2TB drives.

In this case, if I dont want the 1TB’s do I still need to insert the new 2TB’s one by one?

Thanks!

Got my drives today. Will put in 1 2TB drive in tonite and let it build itself.

Once I get the lights steady I will put another 2TB drive in a day or 2.

Does this sound like a good strategy?

Thanks
Ravneet

As long as you’re not planning on removing the 1TB drives later, sure.