Drobo

Pure-FTPd Setup

Hi,

My goal is to be able to remotely connect to my Drobo FS. I’ve installed the Pure-FTPd app on the Drobo. I’ve also obtained a DynDNS address for my network.

I have no idea what to do next, and despite hours of searching for any kind of setup instructions for the Pure-FTPd Drobo app, I haven’t found anything.
This kind of IT work is still very new to me, but I understand the basics.

Is there anyone who could explain what to do next, step by step?

Thanks so much in advance,

CB

I am also looking to do the same thing and haven’t been able to find any guides. Were you able to solve your problem? anyone out there got a solution?

no… still looking for any leads

Configuring it for the Drobo shouldn’t be any different than doing it for a computer.

Have you looked at http://www.pureftpd.org/project/pure-ftpd/doc?

Yes, I looked. But unfortunately I’m not savy enough to make sense of it (I wouldn’t know how to configure it for a computer either)

same problem here I couldn’t get it working. I have settled for using vnc to get back to my computer then i can see files. I wanted to setup ftp to share files from my photoshoots but could not get working. someone please do a drobofs ftp for dummies tutorial

yes–please. drobo ftp 101!

I think I’m in the same boat as you guys. I’m not the biggest technical person so I’m worried that If I try to get this working I wont be able to figure it out or even worse I’ll mess something up in the process. So I’ve held off in trying to figure it out.

Here is my reply from a previous thread:

I just played with pureftp on DroboFS. I don’t know how much I can help since some of the file locations seem to be different in the DroboFS vs DroboShare. I am just going to list out what I did. (FYI, I cannot guarantee this is 100% secure or accurate since I am still playing around with the very basic linux that runs the DroboFS. Use the info below at your own discression and I am not responsible for anything that could occur if you follow what I did, yadda, yadda, yadda). If someone has a better way of setting this up or a better way of securing it, please respond so that I can learn as well.

First I installed Apache and DroboApps Admin Utility.

Next, I then installed dropbear so I can log into drobo and edit system files.

THE VERY NEXT THING, I ssh’d into the drobo and changed the root password!!!

Next, I then installed pure-ftp.

The other thing I was able to do was set up port forwarding on my router and then went to DynDNS.org and set up a free URL that points to my router. Now I can be at work, or a friends house and if I need to, ftp a file to my house without having to leave my home computer on.

For more advanced users wanting to create a secured FTP directory for users to log into (and not be able to jump around the rest of the filesystems in the Drobo):

Once that was complete, I ssh’d into the DroboFS for the meat of the changes.
Step 1 - ‘ps | grep ftp’ to verify that pure-ftpd is running.

Step 2 - ‘df’ To find where my storage is located. On DroboFS, I see:
/dev/sda1 17156881544 294070564 16862810980 2% /mnt/DroboFS

Step 3 - ‘cd /mnt/DroboFS’ and ‘ls’ shows my Shares subdirectory and if I ‘cd Shares’ and ‘ls’ shows Public which is my shared volume I set up when I started using the DroboFS.

Step 4 - ‘mkdir /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public/FTP’

Step 5 - ‘cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public’

Step 6 - I wanted an ftpuser account so I did an ‘adduser ftpuser’ and gave a password and then confirmed the pasword. (You can go into DroboDashboard to make this as well (more permanent) but you will still have to make the changes in step 8 to secure the rest of the DroboFS from curious users)

Step 7 - ‘chmod 777 FTP’ and ‘chmod +s FTP’ (or you chould do a ‘chown ftpuser FTP’ if your just going to have one account ftping into the drobo)

Step 8 - vi etc/passwd and changed the home directory from ‘/home/ftpuser’ to
‘/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public/FTP/./’

The /./ at the end should force the FTP subdirectory to be the base directory for ftpuser, so when the user ftp’s in, he can’t ‘cd …’ or cd to any of the parent directories of FTP.

Step 9 - to test, I opened a command line window (or FTP application), and ftp’d to my DroboFS’s ip address.
I was then able to add files, see them, and pull them back down.

NOTE: The problem with this is that DRI overwrites the password file everytime it is rebooted or someone goes and make changes to users in the dashboard. Keep a backup of the password file so you don’t have to go and retype this evertime the DroboFS is rebooted or after someone makes changes to users in the drobo dashboard!

Microxot,

Thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of information that I’ve spent literally weeks trying to find.

I think I can figure out everything, but there’s one piece of VERY basic info. that I’m still not sure how to do: that is, how do you SSH into the Drobo? If you or someone could explain this in the very plainest of terms I think my problems would be solved.

For instance, is this something that’s done through the Terminal application (I use Macs)? I’m assuming that all of these commands are done through the Terminal, but I’ve literally never used it so I’m just not sure how to even enter a command.

Or, can the SSH connection be made through an FTP program? Or even better, through the Go —> Connect to server… window on the Mac’s Finder?

Wherever it’s used, if you could tell me the what to type and where to type it, that would be infinitely helpful. Like: ‘ssh://<My router’s DynDNS address>:<My Drobo’s IP address>’ or something like that?

Thanks so much. I apologize for my ignorance here, but this is all amazingly helpful.

CB

From http://www.drobo.com/droboapps/apps-for-drobofs.php
Click on ‘Instructions’ to get the full PDF file. Here is the exerpt for the Drobbear:

1 From the DroboApps Installation pdf:

2 Download and unzip the Dropbear DroboApp (dropbear.zip).

3 Read the Readme file and take any necessary actions.

4 Copy the .tgz file to the DroboApps volume (folder) on your FS array.

5 Restart your FS array using Drobo Dashboard: Advanced Controls -> Tools -> Restart.

6 Wait for the Dropbear DroboApp to install into the DroboApps volume.
Navigate to the DroboApps volume on your FS array and verify that there is a “dropbear” folder and that it contains several files and folders.

Hi again,

So I’ve completed all of these steps and Dropbear is successfully installed on my Drobo FS.

I’m just not sure what I need to do now to access the FS from a non-local network. In other words, where and how do I initiate an SSH connection?

Thanks again, everyone,

CB

Any suggestions on how to change the FTP port to something non-standard?

Wastesandpines,

You will need to set up your router to let you communicate to the outside world. I created a port forwarding so that incoming ftp requests points to the ip address of my DroboFS. My Linksys router has a DDNS option that let me set that up with DynDNS.com so instead of having to remember what my current home ip address is, I just have to remember a domian name.

asgolden,

I don’t know if you can do that at the DroboFS since it is a barebone version of Linux.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea if it can do SSL/TLS transfers?

Thank you for your detailed instructions on how to setup SSH and FTP for my DroboFS. I’ve been able to perform every step and I think I have it all set up, but I can’t figure out how to perform Step 8 (how to change a user’s home directory).

I enter “vi /etc/passwd” and it returns the following.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

• /etc/passwd/ 1/1 100%

What do I have to do now in order to change ftpuser’s home directory? This is my first time working with Linux/command lines and i only know what i’ve managed to piece together through google searches, but if you could tell me what i need to enter in order to change the user’s home directory, i think my entire problem will finally be solved.

Thank you in advance, and again for your already very helpful post.

Chris

I am stuck on Step 8 as well.

Step 8 - vi etc/passwd and changed the home directory from ‘/home/ftpuser’ to
‘/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public/FTP/./’

What is the command that should be entered to make the home directory fixed? Pure-ftpd says something about -a but I don’t know how that can be applied?

Thanks,[hr]

Silly question I know, but where is this password file? I can’t have all the accounts reset everytime there’s a problem.

Does anyone know how many users this FTP program can handle? 100-200 users?

Thanks,

Chris. You need to ‘vi’ to edit the /etc/passwd file. Google ‘vi commands’ and you should find several good sites that will give you the basic of the vi editor and how to edit files.

Since you haven’t used vi before, I strongly recommend making a copy of the passwd file and editing the copy.

B

I have been at this for weeks and though the instructions/walkthrough in this thread were very helpful, I am unable to get a usable share in this sense: I need a share that can be written to (write and delete) by AFP users, but readable (copy only) by FTP. I setup an intended FTP share, but any directory that is copied in by an AFP user is not readable to an FTP connection — permission to the copied folder deny access to FTP users and the folder appears empty. I can chmod recursively to make a new folder accessible but this isn’t usable, I am setting this up for a client who has zero UNIX savvy and needs to be able to add/delete via OS X GUI to manage the content (read/write), which must then be downloaded remotely via FTP (read-only). I have tried setting sticky bits but newly copied files continue to exhibit the same non-FTP-accessible permissions regardless.

Has anyone run into this?

A cron job that periodically does a chmod to all files in that specific directory?