Drobo

Pro v Elite

Am I right in thinking the only difference between the Pro and Elite is dual gig NIC’s?

My understanding is that the DroboElite has support for multiple clients, whereas multiple clients in DroboPro is not supported.

Thus DroboElite is a NAS device, whereas DroboPro is DAS.
From DroboElite specs:

[quote]Multi-host Connectivity
The DroboElite connects seamlessly to your existingTCP/IP network and utilizes industry-standard iSCSI protocol with optional CHAP authentication to provide simple, consolidated iSCSI storage for your servers.[/quote]

So if you want to have multiple machines access the Drobo storage without having a server directly connected to the Drobo storage, then you want to get DroboElite over the DroboPro.

If you can elabotrate more on your intended use then I’m sure the other members can provide some good advice.

Also the Elite has a faster CPU on it. So you will see fasters speeds on all interfaces (usb, fw and iscsi). Also relayout times are quicker.

hurry up and make a 16 slot one, with the elite’s cpu, my drobopro is bursting at the seams!

Actually, I’d LOVE a Drobo with a “backbone” port to allow daisy-chaining Drobos together as one huge logical Drobo. I’ll put in a feature request. :slight_smile:

i already asked from that, years ago, i think it was when i want to make an 8-bay drobo by connecting two 4 bay ones. but no i would like to make a 16 bay drobo

even better would be to be able to expand the drobopro with a slave unit - i.e. a dumb box - so it is a lot cheaper and just relies on the master unit’s cpu and ram.

I made a feature request here: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=961

I like the “dumb box” option!

We’re storage gluttons. :wink:

yeah, if it needed a full blown second drobo, the you may as well just leave it as that, and have two drobos, the only real point (to me) of daisy chaining would be because you could make do with only one “smart” one.

I already have two huge volumes on my 'pro, so if i bought a second pro i could just move one onto that, and wouldnt need the daisy chaining functionality. the only advantages to daisychaining would be:

1. to get a single massive volume across two drobos
  2. reduce the amount of wasted disk space due to redundancy (i.e. still only “lose” two disks out of 16 rather than out of 8)
  3. if the second box was a dumb slave unit and was significantly cheaper than a full drobo.