After plowing through Knowledge Base and this forum numerous times I’m still somewhat confused trying to make Drobo future proof for my setup. I’d greatly appreciate your patience with this noob - and any guidance!
- Drobo (v2)
- x2 1Tb drives (WD Green WD10EADS)
- Dashboard 1.6.8 (fresh install)
- Firmware 1.3.6 (manually from 1.3.5, that’s been auto-updated from 1.3.0)
- OS X 10.6.3
- FireWire connection to MacMini
The case and HDDs are fresh and haven’t been used until now. Drobo is currently formatted as a single 16Tb drive. Test transfers work well.
I want to have two partitions:
- (A) 500Gb. For bootable backups of 320Gb HDD in MacMini (via CCC or SuperDuper). I’ll reformat Drobo should I ever need more than 500Gb for this.
- (B) whatever else is available. For media files, iTunes and Aperture libraries, etc. Will be accessed from MacMini (FW) and other Macs (LAN). Ideally, this partition is the one that gets all the new space once HDDs are added to the Drobo.
- What are negative side effects of a partitioned Drobo (vs single partition)?
- Is it necessary to have partition (A) as the 1st partition for it to be bootable?
- What software should I partition the drive with?
- Any problems with Dashboard when a Mac runs of a cloned volume on Drobo?
- How will the new space redistribute between partitions once additional HDDs are added?