Drobo

ooh another new unit

http://hothardware.com/News/Data-Robotics-Enter-NAS-World-With-Networked-Drobo-FS/

drobo FS!

drobo FS was a surprise for me, because I had absolutely no clue that Data Robotics Inc. are planning to release such product. :open_mouth:

they don’t tend to pre-announce or leak their products

this is good (for them) because it doesn’t cannibalise sales of existing units

however it annoys people who may have JUST bought a unit, only for a "better " one to be released the next day

What puzzles me is that the Drobo S is still more expensive than the new FS… I would have expected it to be the opposite…

Drobo S is more expensive than Drobo FS mainly because S has a triple-interface (USB 2, Firewire, and eSATA). The Drobo FS is a networkable Drobo, and as such provides a Gigabit Ethernet port only.

i could not wait. purchased from drobo online store this afternoon and now i get an email that it is on backorder. great now i have to wait. I also got charged tax. I thought online purchases are tax free, did this change?

Edited because I found the information.

https://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/DisplayHelpPage

"Do I have to pay sales tax?

Depending on the order, sales tax may be calculated and charged. Any sales tax charged will be indicated once your billing and/or shipping address have been entered during checkout.

Tax-exempt entities can request a refund of the tax paid on an order. We will need a copy of your tax-exempt certificate and the billing or shipping address on the order must match the address on the certificate. Please include your order number or a copy of your receipt or invoice. You can fax a copy of your certificate, with order number or invoice to 408-567-3101."

So in other words, it’s dependent on the State you live in.

I’m interested in seeing the benchmarks. I fall into the category of people who “just bought one” and sure wish I would have known that there would be a legit Drobo NAS on the horizon.

I just wish Drobo FS will propely handle the improper UFSD mounting issues.
Providing technical support for DroboShare in Japan market has been a real pain.

If Drobo FS supports upgrading from Drobo FW800 via drive re-planting, improper UFSD mounting can instantly render all the files unusable by corrupting filenames (This will only occur for filenames with non-ANSI characters).

[quote=“minorutoda, post:9, topic:1217”]If Drobo FS supports upgrading from Drobo FW800 via drive re-planting, improper UFSD mounting can instantly render all the files unusable by corrupting filenames (This will only occur for filenames with non-ANSI characters).
[/quote]

I would be interested in how the Drobo FS handles files with non-latin characters. Since it lacks any direct-connect ports, I’m curious what file system does it use now. If moving drives from another Drobo to the FS is possible, then we can use that to force the FS to use a particular file system.

Unfortunately you will not be able to migrate drives from a previous Drobo to the Drobo FS.

The filesystem used on the FS is EXT3.

Oh! That’s a major deal breaker IMHO. :frowning:

Hi Jennifer, I’m confused because on Drobo’s website (Drobo FS -> Technology) I read:

“File and Operating System Agnostic
Drobo and its underlying BeyondRAID technology currently support the Windows, Mac and Linux¹ platforms, with file system support for NTFS, HFS+, and FAT32. Since Drobo is a block level system, it easily adapts to almost any environment”

Can you please confirm what is really supported? Thanks.

that is the drobo beyond raid technology. since in the droboFS you have no direct access to the file system - you can only get to the interpretation of it which droboFS present over the network, via CIFS or whatever - it makes no difference how drobo actually formats the drives inside. in the same way that network shares look the same whether they are on windows machines with ntfs drive or macs with HFS drives. the fact that droboFS use ext3 internally is almost irrelevant to most people :slight_smile:

I couldn’t have said it any better than Docchris. TY

I too am interested in seeing some real world benchmarks.

I bought a Drobo right when it came out, actually before it was even generally available. Oldest model, USB 2.0, no FW. I have no real complaints on my unit. It’s slow, but it’s been running 24x7 for years without an issue. That said. I will definitely NOT purchase the FS until I see some real world performance numbers from Data Robotics. All because it has GigE doesn’t mean it’s going to push 125 MB/s. My old Drobo barely hits 18 MB/s and has some latency issues when it comes to streaming HD video from it, through a server, not Drobo Share.

Data Robotics, how about putting up some performance numbers where it matters? Of course I know there are a lot of variables to consider (drive types, number of drives, file size, capacity used, etc.) But a couple of examples would be good to give people an idea of what to expect in regards to network throughput before plunking down $650. Because if the performance of this unit is anything like the original Drobo, I’ll pass on this one.

Also, kudos for the customer loyalty program, this is much appreciated!

In the demo they mentioned 40-50MB/s read and 30-40MB/s write performance via GB ethernet.

Too bad about the inability to migrate disk-packs tough.

I was looking for it in print, I didn’t watch the video. Thanks for that!
Huge improvement over what my original Drobo can do.

Yeah, it is a shame that they can’t migrate. I was disappointed in this. However, it’s not like you’re going to let your original Drobo sit and collect dust are you?!?!? So sooner or later you’ll need a new disk pack anyways.

Actually i was thinking of moving off of Drobo S and selling it.

My Drobo is so old I doubt anyone would offer me more than I personally think it’s still worth. The little rubber feet have discolored and gotten that whitish tint that old rubber starts to have after time. I mean this thing is the Methuselah of Drobo’s.