Drobo

OLD DROBO OUT OF WARRANTY, NEED DESPERATE HELP PLEASE

OLD DROBO OUT OF WARRANTY, NEED DESPERATE HELP PLEASE
Drobo Care referred me to the community

DRO4D-D
4 BAY
USB 2.0 and firewire 800

1st disk pack:
had four 3tb drives in drobo with data, I think it was NTFS, volume working fine
ejected properly
powered drobo down
removed disk pack, did not change order, placed drives on shelf

2nd disk pack
drobo off
installed three new 3 tb drives
created new disk pack, NTFS, working fine.
ejected properly
powered drobo down
removed disk pack, did not change order, placed drives on shelf

back to 1st disk pack:
drobo off
install four 3tb drives in unit (original disk pack with data)
power on drobo
went to retrieve data, said disk not formatted. Tried mac and PC would not see volume.
DID NOT FORMAT
powered drobo down
removed 1st disk pack,
powered up drobo, reset settings
Now drobo dashboard sees four empty drives,
AGAIN DID NOT FORMAT
powered drobo down
install 2nd disk pack
power up, drive mounted fine

Is there any utility that I can use to retrieve the data from disk pack 1? even of it cost $$$ I also have access to a Drobo 5N if that helps in retrieving the data.

I don’t know what I did wrong?
I can not afford professional data recovery that runs into the thousands of dollars

Thank you in advance for your reply.

hi,
i think its good that your 2nd disk pack was still recognised when using the “drobo off”, install 2nd pack, power up again process. = this should mean that your drobo is ok, and if all bay lights were working as expected, it seems to indicate that your drobo chassis backplane is ok. :slight_smile:

all your steps above seem ok, though the only thing that caught my attention was when you said this:

“2nd disk pack
drobo off
installed three new 3 tb drives”

i say this as i would have thought the drobo is best to be “on” and then to have the new blank drives installed.
(i dont think it would confuse it, but if anything could have, then it might have been that)
its not urgent but could you clarify if it was definitely off when you put the new pack drives in, and then you powered it back up?

it may not matter for slots, but 2 things you can try in the meantime, would be to try re-arranging the slots of disk pack 1, eg:

to power all off
to power on the drobo empty (and let it finish its boot sequence blue leds etc / standby mode
to power up computer (and verify in dashboard that it is empty)
to power all off a 2nd time
to install the 1st disk pack while off
to power up just drobo (boot seq etc)
to power up computer (and see what dashboard or computer shows)?

if still no luck, to check windows Disk Manager and “only” to see if there is a volume present that can be assigned a drive letter.

if no luck there,
then to power all off
to eject 2 drives and swap them while still off
to power up just drobo (boot seq etc)
to power up computer
to see what computer and dashboard see
to recheck disk manager for an assignable drive letter.

and by the time you have been able to try those, hopefully one of us might have some more ideas :slight_smile: