Drobo

Off Site Backup Solutions

Hi Gang,

We are a small graphics company and we are setting up Drobo FS as our new network drive, replacing our old original Drobo that has served us well these past 5 or 6 years. I am exploring some on-line back up services to regularly back up the new Drobo and wanted to see if anyone else is using any on-line back up services with success (or lack of). I’ve looked at Elephant Drive and Cobalt. Any inout would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I’ve used Crashplan and Carbonite.

I use Carbonite now to backup everything off-site.
http://www.carbonite.com/en/

I’ve used Crashplan and Carbonite.

I use Carbonite now to backup everything off-site.
http://www.carbonite.com/en/

Crashplan

also mozy is another site
theres a mozy post or 2 on the forums (i use it myself on selected folder and for me it does what i need and just a few pounds per month for 50gb space and 30day file versioning) but best thing is to try some out to see.

also good if you can define what your main aim is…
eg… is it just to have a copy of stuff from a certain (final-project-deliverable) folder backed up to an online location?
what sort of GB of data do you have?
how up-to-date (often) do you want the 2 locations to be in synch
how much new data do you generate per day which needs backing up (or per week on average if eaiser)
(if youre into photography that can cause a LOT of new data but if you’re into 3d renders and animations that can also generate a lot of data)

if its really important stuff and you need the whole fs backed-up offline, then probably best to just pay a host company for drive space and secure ftp it all there or use a tool such as synchback to schedule some kind of mirroring (but make sure you read all about it first and know what youre doing otherwise you could mirror a blank destination onto a live source LOL and thats not good :slight_smile:

I’ve used Carbonite and Crashplan.

I’ve settled on Time Machine for local backup and Carbonite for off-site.

btw what is your os setup?

(am guessing mgriffin your on a mac :slight_smile: