So far, I used my (Windows and Mac) username as the “Admin” on the Drobo. As far as I can remember, I always had full access to all shares.
Suddenly, probably after installing firmware 1.2.1, I no longer have access to any of the shares.
While there is a workaround (rename the Admin and create a new user for the shares), I wonder whether this change was intentional?
[quote=“andymac, post:3, topic:6403”]
However this didn’t work until I’d hard rebooted my FS (i.e. switching off then on on the back of the box).[/quote]
I had to logoff/logon on my PC, but that’s normal behaviour if permissions are changed on SMB shares.
P.S. The change only affects SMB shares. If shares are mounted on a Mac via AFP, the admin still has full rights.
I’ll try logging off the PC account - I found this morning that all the Drobo shares had unmounted again from the PC, and I could no longer access any of the folders on the Drobo FS. A bit of a hassle given that Drobo Copy then didn’t work. I tried to remount the shares, but it’s timing out and Drobo Dashboard is reporting an unknown error.
Just to report back, I rebooted both the PC and Drobo FS and the shares seem to be staying mounted (that’s almost 2 days now). One thing that has happened though is that the Admin account now has read/write access to all the shares again !