Drobo

Newly inserted WD20EADS net recognised by Drobo V2

Hi,

Currently my Drobo V2 (connected via FireWire to my 2009 MacMini) has 3 x 1TB HDD’s.

I purchased a new 2TB Western Digital WD20EADS today.
Firmware revision is R6B0.

Plugged it into the 4th drive bay which was empty.

Drive bay 3 (with an existing 1TB HDD) LED went RED, then all top three LED’s started blinking Green/Red.

I waited until the top three bay LED’s returned to a solid green state, then tested accessing some data - which seemed to go OK.

The 2TB HDD is still in the Drobo’s 4th bay, but the Drobo does not see it at all.

Dashboard reports the bay as empty.

I have removed and reinserted the drive with no luck.

Not sure where to go from here.

EDIT: Problem resolved, I put the Drobo into Standby (with the 2TB drive still inserted), pulled the power, plugged the power in, Drobo now recognises the extra 2TB HDD.

I would still like to know why it didn’t pick up the drive straight away like advertised!

The same happened to me. Twice. …and other users.

There have been posts regarding this “problem”… But as always, it does not seem to be important enough to care about. sigh

Open a ticket and hope that someone will notice it at DRI.[hr]

Seems your drobe went into recovery because he temporarily lost the drive in bay 3.

Could have been a mechanical problem. Because alle drives connect to the same backplane you have to be very careful not stress the backplane too much and loose connection of the drives neraby.

[quote=“geoffp, post:1, topic:550”]

The 2TB HDD is still in the Drobo’s 4th bay, but the Drobo does not see it at all.

Dashboard reports the bay as empty.[/quote]

I’ve just received my drobo from amazon and I experienced the exact same problem. Different set of drives, but obviously this has nothing to do with the drives.

[quote=“geoffp, post:1, topic:550”]
EDIT: Problem resolved, I put the Drobo into Standby (with the 2TB drive still inserted), pulled the power, plugged the power in, Drobo now recognises the extra 2TB HDD.[/quote]

Thanks, I tried this and it resolved my issue. However, as you point out, why is this happening?

I will open a ticket, too.

New problem now.

This happened last night and then again this morning when waking up Mac Mini and Drobo both times after both units were sleeping for an extended period of time (at least a couple of hours).

Boot up sequence on Drobo was as follows:

1. All 4 LED’s come on solid red.
  2. All bottom blue LED’s come on.
  3. Error message displayed “The device you removed was not properly put away. Data might have been lost or damaged. Before you unplug your device, you must first select its icon in the Finder and choose Eject from the File menu.”
  4. After accepting the error message by clicking the "OK’ button, the Drobo then boots up properly.

Problem is I did not remove the Drobo, only put it to sleep along with the Mac Mini. This process worked perfectly before adding the 4th 2TB HDD.

NOTE: If I put the Mac Mini and Drobo to sleep for a few minutes then wake them up the Drobo boots up correctly. It seems to experience “Problem 2” when sleeping for an extended time period.

Problem 2 is not acceptable as my family currently have to accept the error message tho continue using Plex (our home theatre software).

I have raised a ticket and will see what support says.

This was the reply from Drobo support after raising a ticket:

[i]Problem 1: Sorry for the inconvenience, some customers have experienced this issue. However it is not common, possibly the Hard drive did not present itself like it normally should to the Drobo, hence the Drobo did not recognize it.

For the future, on no circumstance should you pull out the power from Drobo like you did to resolve a problem. Always put Drobo into standby via Drobo Dashboard, disconnect the data cable (USB or Firewire), then the power cable and always connect the data cable before the power cable when powering it back up.

If you cannot access Drobo via Drobo Dashboard for any reason you can shut down your computer, then disconnect the data cable, then the power cable.

Problem 2: It is possible that after pulling out the power cable to try to resolve problem 1, it caused Drobo to respond that way. Try to do a proper shutdown of Drobo like I stated above and power it back up. Let me know if you experience the same issues.

Best Regards,
Uche Peters
Technical Support Agent
Data Robotics, Inc.

ref:00D56kRy.50057Iacc:ref
[/i]

Problem 2 happened again this morning - really pissed off.

Sent this reply back to Drobo support…

Hi Uche,

Re problem 2 - I did originally put the Drobo into Standby using Dashboard prior to pulling the power cable.

The only thing I did not do was unplug the firewire port from my Mini after putting the Drobo to standby and before pulling the power cable…

I have since put the Drobo into standby from dashboard, pulled the firewire cable, pulled the power cable, plugged firewire cable back in, plugged the power cable in, the Drobo has re-appeared on dashboard and worked properly UNTIL this morning (after another long sleep last night) whereas problem 2 has re-occurred.

What else can I do to prevent this problem happening again?

NOTE: If I cannot get a resolution to this problem and it continues to occur, the Drobo will be going and I will go to a NAS solution.