Drobo

new drive, empty bay not recognised

Strange, Ive been running 2 x 1TB (bottom slot and 3rd from top) and 1 X 500GB (second slot from the top) drives in three bays for quite a while in a 1st gen drobo using 1.3.5 firmware. I tried to insert a brand new 1.5TB drive in the empty slot (top slot) and … nothing. anyone see this before or have an idea what’s up? I have my drobo formatted as 2TB, adding this drive would exceed that. Could that be the problem? Thanks.[hr]
So I tried removing my 500GB drive from it’s slot (second slot from the top) and putting he new 1.5TB into that second slot. The drobo recognised the new drive and of course its rebuilding now. But when I tried to put the 500GB drive in the top slot (the one that was empty) I get … nothing. Could it be a slot problem? I had a peek in and it appears same as other slots. I noticed hen removing drives from that top slot that they are spinning, so they are getting power…

Reboot the drobo with the drive in the top bay.

Standby via dashboard, unplug data cable then power. Insert new drive or leave in there if already in there.
Plug in data cable then power.

Should boot up and see the drive.

Thanks Jennifer (nice holiday avatar). I’ll try rebooting after relayout it done and post the results.

[quote=“rsalexander, post:3, topic:621”]
Thanks Jennifer (nice holiday avatar). I’ll try rebooting after relayout it done and post the results.
[/quote]And if that doesn’t work: open a support case. I myself had a Drobo where the fourth slot was faulty. Got it replaced without any problems.

Thanks Bramus!
FOrtunately I rebooted and the last bay is working fine. When in doubt reboot, right? Thanks again Jennifer.

Isn’t rebooting the case for almost everything? LOL