Drobo

Need help with rsync on drobo FS

Hi,
This could get lengthy but I’ll jump right into it. I’m new to this whole drobo apps thing. I don’t have any linux experience but I am familiar with some windows command line stuff and I’m able to navigate my way around a config file if you tell me what to do. I have recently purchased a drobo FS and saw that it has an rsync app. So I read the initial things about drobo apps that datarobotics has on their site and started installed apache, droboadmin, then rsync. Needless to say the readme’s didn’t help because they assume that I already know what i’m doing to some extent. So at this point I don’t know the first thing about Rsync even though I’ve exhausted my google-fu and come across articles that were step by step but again assumed that I already knew these simple things that the writer was skipping over in explaining. So if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
I’ll explain my setup and my desired outcome:
Setup:
-Windows 2003 server SBS
-running a domain supporting around 30-40 computers over a gigabit network
-drobo S attached to the server via eSATA
-drobo FS attached to the network with a static IP

Desired outcome:
I would like to sync an entire directory from the server to the drobo FS. ONE WAY SYNC that copies complete attributes of files(security, etc.), can be automated, doesn’t just stop when a file is in use and cannot be copied, and perhaps spit out a log file or maybe email the log. Encryption isn’t completely necessary but SSH would be nice. I’m not really sure what Apache’s role is in this whole thing either. Please help get me started. I at least need to know the main components so I can start troubleshooting on my own. Thanks in advance!

If you W2K3 SBS machine runs 24/7 you might just want to sync it from that side.

SyncToy does a good job, if you need more configurability, Robocopy or XXCOPY (not much of a looker, but TONS of options) work. I’m paranoid so I use ViceVersa Pro from TGRMN since it allows CRC verification.

There’s nothing wrong with rsync, but since you’re likely more familiar with Windows, if the server’s up 24/7, it might be easier to manage.