Drobo

Moving Drobo disk pack to DroboPro

I have a 2nd Generation Drobo packed with 2TB drives that I would like to move to a DroboPro. According to the Drobo support articles this should be a simple task. Just move the disk pack from the Drobo to the DroboPro.

I’m curious to know if anyone has tried this and if it worked as described.

Also is there any reason I can’t stack DroboPro’s? I would be adding a second DroboPro to the office and space is becoming an issue.

from second generation to drobopro was totally flawless for me

power it down, move the disk (ALL OF THEM!) and power it up

i think performance is a bit rubbish for a day or two while it optimises the layout of the data, but apart from that its fine

drobopros seem very strong i would expect stacking two would cause no problems

Thank you.

I read the knowledge base article twice, but really given the bugs that we’ve all found around here I wanted to ask to be sure.

I really can’t continue to wait on DRI to add 3TB support the Drobo. I need more space now. I have a ton of projects coming in the fall that will all be shot in HD.

And I couldn’t think of a single reason not to stack them but you know better safe than sorry.

[quote=“Docchris, post:2, topic:2947”]drobopros seem very strong i would expect stacking two would cause no problems
[/quote]

They do stack fine, although Drobo Inc. support says not to.

Okay I received the new DroboPro today so I thought I would update this with my experience.

When I received the DroboPro I decided I would fire it up and update the firmware before installing any disks. Unfortunately that wasn’t possible since it wouldn’t let me interact with it from Drobo Dashboard. So I shutdown the unit and installed all 4 2TB disks from my old Drobo. After a reboot (which took about 5 minutes) the DroboPro appeared with all my data intacted and the same warning about being low on space that it had from the old Drobo. The firmware was very out of date 1.1.11. Updating the firmware was the usual mess that is a Drobo. I had to manually download and install the update, and then manually restart the DroboPro to get the update to install. But after that it was up to date and working fine just low on space. So then I installed my first 3TB drive into a Drobo. And that worked without issue.

I think that if Drobo could work out the bugs with the Drobo Dashboard the experience would be easier for new users. But if you have been using a Drobo for a while and know how to manually install updates, restart, etc. everything works pretty well.

ive always been able to update empty drobos without problem[hr]
but im glad your upgrade works ok :slight_smile:

I thought I should have been able to update without disks but I was stuck on a warning screen.

It said something to the effect of “You need to insert a disk into the DroboPro” I should have taken a screenshot.

On the DroboPro unit itself bay 1 was lit up with a red light. All the other lights where out, except of course the power light.

Maybe it is a bug with the new Dashboard? I don’t know really, I can’t remember the last time I tried to run a Drobo empty.

oh yes - thats the normal “i have no disks in me warning”.

ive often updated while on that screen[hr]
in the older dashboard

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but my question is related. I have a 2nd gen Drobo 4-bay with four 2TB disks, and the array is almost full. I can upgrade to 3TB drives, but am considering purchasing a DroboPro to futureproof my setup. The volume size on the current array is set to 16TB. My question is, when moving my disk pack to the DroboPro will I be able to set a new volume size (e.g., 24TB), or am I limited to size I originally specified with the 4-bay Drobo?

you cannot change your current volume size

and as far as i know the drobopro is limited to 16tb as a maximum volume size (althought you can have lot sof volumes)

if you wanted to have a differnet volume ize you coudl create a second volume on the drobopro of the size you wante d- copy all your data from the first volume to the second (still all on your drobopro) then delete the first volume

16TB is the maximum volume size on all the Drobo models. When you move to the DroboPro it will keep the same Volume name and when you cross over 16TB you can just create another 16TB Volume. The DroboPro can support up to 16 volumes.

Thanks for the information. I assumed that since the DroboPro had support for 3TB drives it was also capable of a 24TB volume. That does change things a bit for me. If ultimately I would need to create a second volume with the DroboPro, I could save quite a bit of money by purchasing a second 4-bay Drobo.

you dont get dual disk redundancy
and drobo pro is MUCH MUCH faster
and you manually manage your volumes[hr]
you dont get dual disk redundancy
and drobo pro is MUCH MUCH faster
and you manually manage your volumes

Depends on your situation, though in general I recommend moving up to the Drobo Pro (vertical upgrade) rather than adding another Drobo.
Once you pass the second additional chassis, you’ll lose space on each additional, though I guess with an 8-bay Drobo you’d be even, though the risk is distributed differently.

In addition to the things Docchris mentioned, you also would have almost the same amount of protected storage (just slightly less) with Dual Disk Redundancy, or more protected storage if you use Single Disk Redundancy.

That said, I have 4 Drobos, but my storage configuration is quite atypical (and arguably overkill)
I have two Drive Bender pools:

1. Drobo v2 + Drobo v2
    I use this for my movie storage - I don’t really need the protection, so it’s mainly a matter of convenience.
    This functions like a simple spanned volume.

2. Drobo S Gen 1 + Drobo S Gen 2
    This is my “normal” shared storage. Both Drobo S units have Dual Disk Redundancy enabled, and Drive Bender is doing software mirroring between the two units for specific folders.
    This functions like a RAID 6 setup with selective RAID 6+1. This, of course, is in addition to normal backups to a separate portable drive.

Again… I am NOT typical (and depending on who you ask, perhaps just plain crazy)

And remember…
Drobo provides fault-tolerance. Fault-tolerance is not a substitute for backups. Fault-tolerance simply reduces the downtime and (hopefully) small data loss between the time of last backup and time of failure.
For some this is simply a convenience, for others this is well worth cost of investment.