Drobo

macOS Big Sur, Drobo volumes show as Uninitialised (Thunderbolt)

Could someone show me exactly what cable I would need to switch over to USB? Perhaps an amazon link? My 5d3 has a “usb” port but it looks more like a thunderbolt port

Same here, except when I use a USB with my 5D, it mounts but when I try to open a folder it goes into the sit and spin mode, crashing Finder. :frowning:

You need USB Type-C on one end (to connect to Drobo 5D3) and USB Type-A 3.1 on the other end (the one that usually has a blue plug). If you have a Samsung phone or a Pixel phone, or even the iPad pro these days, they all come with the cable you need. I’m not recommending this specific brand, it’s not the one I’m using, but you asked for a photo so here you go: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Double-Braided-Nylon-Type-C/dp/B07D7TXTPP

What direct hard drive system or you going to switch to? I have the 8D and I really like it. I use FCPX and I can even edit off the drive but I don’t like the customer service or the SLOWWWWWW fixes they put out when you are needing to access your data…now!!

Thank you so, so much! Fortunately I have a late model iPad with several extra cables. It worked perfectly. I know I am likely suffering from a lack of speed but it will work until they get this fixed. Thanks again.

I have a similar situation, though with an additional issue.

Did the firmware and dashboard updates, ahead of the Big Sur release, and later installed Big Sur … based on the post here saying everything was fine.

Neither my 5D or 5D3 will work now over Thunderbolt. As with others, they show up in the Dashboard, but will not mount and show as “Uninitialized” in Disk Utility.

Connecting them via USB 3 results in them mounting, but they do not show up in Dashboard (regardless of rebooting the drives or the computer or both). Access is GLACIALLY slow (upwards of a minute to open a folder) and has caused Finder to hang and/or the drives to unmount and remount (with a warning about not being safely removed).

This is not a useable solution.

Randomly, and more worryingly still, my 5D3 suddenly disconnected and reconnected again, showed up in Dashboard, and is now in some kind of recovery/data protection state (flashing yellow/green on all drive lights) and claiming another 10 hours to sort itself out. The drives are fine.

Not happy.

1 Like

Have you upgraded to Big Sur yet? If not don’t or that will not work any more and Drobo has confirmed this. EDIT: Just realized in the image that you have the same issue as the rest of us. I’m currently looking at a Synology NAS but need to do some benchmarking on how different models will perform vs what I have now that I’m replacing.

I’ve had so many issues with Thunderbolt connectivity to Drobo DAS over the last year I can’t count them any more. And when you combine that with the lack of hardware availability for sale since January, and they have not refreshed there hardware in many, many years I am no longer confident they are going to be around much longer. It feels like they are just running out the clock on the current generation and then will go away. Someone bought them for the technology patents and now they are fading away.

Support is terrible. When I had a failed 5D under DroboCare, they actually told me they do not have any replacement hardware and do not know when they’ll get them. It turned out it was yet another Thunderbolt software issue but they couldn’t fix it.

I have simply reached the point where I no longer trust them and this latest mess locks it down. This stuff about it worked yesterday but now it doesn’t- Really? I don’t know what it is but they are clearly doing something kludgy inside the operating system over Thunderbolt and since they never updated their model when Apple alerted developers 2 years ago, it finally broke. I’m not going to live in a world where their software is so delicate, the next maintenance release of MacOS might cause it to stop working again. That is simply not acceptable.

The 8D was sold a month or two ago and as soon as I have a replacement in hand, I’ll be moving off the 5D and selling it as well. I’ve been using Drobo for 10 years but I no longer trust their hardware or software to reliably store my data and continue to move forward with new technologies.

1 Like

I’m on an iMac Pro, with a Drobo8, and just installed Big Sur. I’ll have to go retro later today as there’s nothing else to do.

The Drobo Dashboard forced an auto update. The drive was showing as Uninitialized, etc. Same as others have described.

However, I tried the Shutdown from Dashboard and when I switched it back on, it Insta-Crashes and shuts down the iMac.

So, no work from me, at this point. Time to go for a walk, pop into the LCBO and get some whisky. And uninstall Big Sur.

Same problem here, 5D3. Drobo we need a fast solution. Thanks

Second these. My 5d shows up as a unit but the drives are uninitialized. will try out usb workaround. very sad.

1 Like

Same here … annoying …

well, I did contact support & this what they had to say.

Same problem with mine. I logged it with apple support. For some reason its not reading HFS+ file format or not allowing to mount the drive as it did on the Catalina.

I am bit stuck as I don’t know what to do.

Well, I got a USB A 3.1 to USB C cable now - and I can see my Drobo again (though not in the dashboard). I am now copying a folder to the Drobo (12 GB). The speed is well into USB1 territory! The first gigabyte took only 6 minutes:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Adding myself to this list. Drobo Mini is seen in the dashboard as well as disk utility, but is not mounting. Connected via TB-USBC adapter to 2018 mac mini. I am able to mount with USB 3A to USBC

Same here. Updated to Big Sur and my Drobo 5D3 shows in disk utility uninitialised. I can’t access any of my data via thunderbolt. The usb 3 port however seems to connect…
Drobo, when can we expect an update?

I’ve been running a Drobo since 2012 and this is the last straw. EVERY OTHER App and connectivity utility works fine with Big Sur but not Drobo. I’ll be purchasing another device.

I’d like to question what Drobo actually sold to us. They sold 5/8D boxes with a number of standard connections like ethernet, thunderbolt and usb.
Now I am asking myself why no other manufacturer seems to suffer from comparable problems. My explanation is that we - in contrast to what we paid for - did not get normal thunderbolt or usb connectors. Why else would standard connectors stop working with a software update? And, to be honest, this sounds like some kind of fraud. Maybe some kind of unintended fraud in the beginning, but now to me it seems to be obvious, that we never got standard connectors. And this is why we suffer from these otherwise inexplicable problems - and why we most probably will suffer from comparable issues in the future.
This has legal implications of course. Because I bought and paid for a thunderbolt 3 connector (as promised by Drobo).
Therefore I am asking Drobo to reconstitute fully operable connectors on my 5D3 - if possible at all (which I doubt) or I will demand my money back.
Really, I am completely fed up with companies selling ‘adapted’ or ‘improved’ standard connectivity without telling anyone which ‘potions’ they use and causing nothing but problems for the user!

Yeah me too with my 8D, 5D3 and 5D. I have been very happy with my Drobo units except for a few instances. I will have to say that I will not immediately jump to Drobo in the future after this. From the start not having a way to test software with developer releases of Big Sur, to this ridiculous situation of not being able to work at all. You can even look at the web page and the 8D is still listed as NEW after almost 2 years on the market. The sad part is that Drobo could have been the “it” thing. Sad for me and all you users who put out the thousands to a company who considers their customers a “problem” and not the asset who help them build their company. The statement on the front page of the web site does not make me feel confident that the issue will be resolved any time soon. They even add addition information adding that we should have 3 backups per EXPERTS. This this is a true statement but they added it when we could not use Big Sur for many months since you were not able to use Drobo after installing Big Sur. As I write this, I’m getting more mad by the minute. " NOTE: Drobo Thunderbolt had been working properly up to RC2 posted on Nov. 11. If your Drobo has a USB port, use this. In the interim we are looking into the issue."…Last note. Prices for DroboCare is a joke. SORRY but again…I question if Drobo ever followed the rules that Apple has for proper hardware and software created to be used on a Mac. If they had, this would not be a problem and their Dashboard would not look and work like a Windows program. And still again…Why do I have to purchase cables for something that should not be having a problem? Any other manufacturers of storage devices having this problem? I wonder if they are working this weekend or waiting to address the problem on Monday from 8 to 5.

2 Likes

And I would like to add that although I am a lucky user who has a USB port available on their Drobo this is so f…ing slow (speed is like USB1 although USB3 is built in) that it is unusable!