Drobo

Mac OS Big Sur Update

11/23 - Update:
For Thunderbolt Accessibility, please download and install Dashboard v3.5.2.

Select Drobo Model:

3 Likes

Hi, I´m experiencing big Issues with macOS Big Sur RC2,

My Drobo 8D is already recognized in the Drobo Dashboard 3.5.1 without issues, but I can’t access my volumes, no one mounts

The issue only occurs with RC2 with prior updates, everything works !

my best regards

2 Likes

Well, I installed Big Sur over night - and my Drobo 5D3 is gone, so to speak. While it is still available over the dashboard (3.5.1 and newest firmware) and can be controlled and setup via the dashboard app, no drive is mounted. Nothing is visible in the finder.
Unfortunately, I do not have a USB cable ready to try mounting the Drobo via USB instead of Thunderbolt. Thanks for that. Last thing I read here was, that everything was working. :frowning:

1 Like

I am in the same boat with my 5D. Connected via Thunderbolt, Dashboard recognizes but drive does not mount (disk utility shows it uninitialized). Connected via USB, Dashboard does not recognize but the drive mounts BUT as soon as I open in Finder, it sits, waits and seems to crash Finder.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem as others. I installed Big Sur this morning. My 5D, connected via Thunderbolt, shows up in the Drobo control panels, but the volumes don’t mount. The Disk Utility says they’re not initialized. I have the latest Control Panel and firmware installed. I found one article that suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the Control Panel. I tried that, but it didn’t help.

1 Like

I’m hoping there’s going to be some official comment on what’s going on here today. And the sooner the better.

I have the same problems (detailed in another thread, here).

As an additional complication, one of my 5D3 units went into data/protection (or recovery) for no apparent reason.

1 Like

They’ve been editing the Big Sur FAQ, rather too quietly:

Yesterday it read something along the lines of “we hope Apple will fix this for us”, today they’re asking for diagnostic dumps.

1 Like

So we go again … (I had to send endless diagnostic reports last year because connecting my 5D3 via TB2 cable made it as slow as USB1.
BTW, has anybody ever seen this RC2 running that ran so issueless? WTF are they thinking? Why can’t they just build in an ordinary TB3 connector?

3 Likes

Count me in. Just switched to Big Sur. Using 5D with Drobo Dashboard version (v3.5.1). Dashboard works fine and reports all drives OK but no volumes mount (none appear on desktop). I’m using Thunderbolt cable. I’m now locked out of virtually everything I do.

Drobo tech support care to comment? I’ve read what’s been going on already and am disappointed to see nothing from the company.

OK, I just read the FAQ’s and apparently the problem is limited to Thunderbolt. As such, I’ll reconnect with a USB cable and hopefully be able to work until they solve the issue.

1 Like

We are working to resolve the Thunderbolt issue. The Drobo 5D (USB 3.0), 5D3 (USB C) & Drobo Mini (USB 3.0) have USB ports, in the interim use this port to access the data. It is a priority for us to fix this issue quickly.

3 Likes

Thank you for your update. I appreciate your work on this issue as it is unfortunate Drobo didn’t have this resolved when Apple released Big Sur. Would it be possible to ensure support of future operating systems when they are released? In addition, it seems rather problematic that Drobo has no mention of this on your home page or blog and that people are stumbling into this issue with no explanation! Not trying to complain, but hoping to make this a more efficient and pleasant experience for everyone.

1 Like

My 8D doesn’t have a USB port. How many weeks until I get my photos back? This isn’t something you could have warned us about ahead of time?

Valorie, how about an update on when we might see a fix here just to set expectations. Is this something coming later today, tomorrow, this week, next month, next year? It’s unsettling having my photos locked up on a bricked 8D with no USB port.

Complaining is needed in this instance. This entire issue has been handled horribly by Drobo StorCentric or whatever. No communication is the biggest problem. Many people could have waited if we had known about the problem when it was discovered.

2 Likes

How could this update from Valorie be 9 days old since Big Sur didn’t come out until Thursday 3 days ago? hmmmmmmm

We first posted the progress on Big Sur testing, it was then updated after the release. My apologies if I misunderstand your question.

Valorie, how about an ETA on this? Is that too much to ask? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 1 year? Certainly your engineers have some idea about how big a problem this is and how long it might take to solve. Why keep your customers in the dark?

I switched my Drobo 5D over to a USB cable. It worked fine for an hour, then locked up. Now it won’t mount via USB. This is a catastrophe, Drobo. Please update us on the Thunderbolt fix.

2 Likes

Hello, has there been an update in the past ten days since this post? I want to upgrade to Big Sur, but this is my only holdup.

Thank you
Cooch

Hi Cooch. Drobo updates us like a spider sucking the life out of a fly. Nothing but gurgling sounds and then silence.

3 Likes