Drobo

Jumbo Frames in Drobo FS completely useless thanks to Apple

I wanted to bring this up as a separate topic since is something that affects a lot of people and it degrades the Drobo FS performance quite a bit.

The new Core i7 and Core i5 iMacs and the new Macbook Pros use the BCM5764 network chip which is unable to support jumbo frames. So while the Drobo FS delivers a very good performance with jumbo frames many Apple users can’t take advantage of this.

You can join the discussion at the Apple forums. Would be nice to have some comment from Data Robotics too.

Don’t mean to hijack, but do you have any comment on other recent Mac models? I’ve got a mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13" (Core 2 Duo 2.53) and a late-2009 iMac (21.5", Core 2 Duo 3.33).

I’ve been on the market for a gigabit wireless-n router that supports jumbo frames, but if these machines don’t support it either, it really defeats the purpose…

I’ve also been thinking about moving the two macs and the Drobo to a gigabit switch that supports jumbo frames, but I can’t get a clear answer if this will make a difference if the switch is connected to a router that doesn’t support the jumbo frames…

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro with a 2.5ghz core2duo and jumbo frames are supported for me. Go to system preferences -> network -> ethernet -> advanced -> ethernet. Then set config to manual and change the MTU to Jumbo (9000). This should work on most pre-corei5/i7 macs with gigabit ethernet.