Drobo

Jennifer - why does Droboshare screw up users/groups?

my GOD this is annoying… why do droboshare reset everything about users and groups upon reboot???

I can’t set up specific groups/users/directories and count on that working…

Sure… it works once I’ve created it… but once I restart the Drobo… everything is reset back to normal!!!

Seriously… you have to make that stop!

DroboShare simply allows you to connect to your network.
It was not designed to handle permissions or users.

I’ll try again =)

Q: Why does Droboshare reset everything about users and groups upon reboot?

I fully understand that Droboshare is a unit that allows me to connect the Drobo directly to the network…

But when you claim that it wasn’t designed to handle permissions or users, then my response to that is:

Drobo actively markets the droboshare with the information that it runs linux. We have applications that allow us to SSH to the Droboshare as well…

To quote your own words:
“It was not designed to handle permissions or users”

This isn’t a matter of designing something to provide that functionality. The Droboshare runs Linux… that functionality is a core functionality of any Linux. What you have done with your product though is actively to design something to PREVENT that feature…

So - to repeat the question:

Q: Why does Droboshare reset everything about users and groups upon reboot?

What is the reasoning about providing us with the posibilities to have applications that allow us to have an FTP server and SSH to the box, the prevent something that would give us users so much extended freedom and extra functionality. I’m simply curious what your reasoning behind that is?

I mean… if it’s fear of screwing up the Droboshare? Then hey…

1. For people who doesn’t know what they are doing, you would be able to get extra service fees from fixing their screw-ups, or
  2. We all have access to the dashboard. Adding a functionality to re-deploy the OS on the Droboshare would be very very simple… Actually… isn’t that already there?

Bump hoping for an answer?

What permissions are you talking about?
Do you mean files stored on the drobo drives, or files on the droboshare itself? If the share, then I’d expect that when it boots it loads a virtual filesystem that runs from ram, just like booting a live linux cd, then when you reboot, those changes are not retained. That would be expected behaviour.

If you mean files on the drobo drives, then I’d have to ask if you mean owner or mode permissions, chown/chmod? I cant see the share going through every file on the drives and changing the perms to 755 or something on each boot, that would take ages.

Uhmm… the Droboshare itself as I wrote.

If your assumption is correct - then there’s naturally not much to do about it… other than making a DroboApp script that apply’s those changes/users/groups and sets appropriate permissions at every boot.

There is several different sets of users/groups/permissions that you need to think about here. Assuming you are on a Mac.

a) There is users/groups/permissions on your local desktop (Mac).
b) There is users/groups/permissions on the DroboShare (which is running a very weak form of embedded Linux called BusyBox).

When I use smb to connect to my DroboShare and I hit command-I (get info) on a file, the Sharing & Permissions part at the bottom of the window just says “You can read and write” because I’m connected to the DroboShare as a Guest user.

There is no mapping between the users/groups on your local system and on the remote system (the DroboShare). smb on the DroboShare runs as the root user [370 root 2056 S usr/sbin/smbd -s /etc/smb.conf] so it has full write privs to any files in the mounted directory [/mnt/DroboShares/Drobo].

ssh logging into the DroboShare and setting permissions or users/groups only does it for the DroboShare, but like I said, unless you setup smb differently, it doesn’t matter because it always runs as root.

I’m not sure if the version of smb that comes on the DroboShare can be configured to do the mapping, but it is pretty easy to setup if you know what you are doing and assuming it works with that version of smb.
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

It is possible to configure BackMyFruitUp to do authentication and user/groups/permissions. But that is left as an exercise for the reader: http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/afpd.conf.5.html

That said, what Jennifer isn’t saying directly, but I will… the reality here is that the DroboShare really was never intended to be a multiuser fileserver. It really is nothing more than an $200 appliance, not a several thousand dollar file server. It is a completely underpowered server for handling multiple people connecting to it concurrently. If you want a better solution, buy a Mac Mini for cheap and connect your Drobo to that. Then just turn on File Sharing.