Drobo

issues with new drobo dashboard on mac

Hi,

I just wanted to posted a few issues I have with the new DD 2.0.3 running on Mac 10.6.8.

Perhaps some one from Drobo will be able to help, or file a bug for future updates…

1. Viewing the Dashhboard over VNC connection causes terrible flicker on the screen. Didn’t have this problem with V1.
  2. Whenever I launch the Dashboard it uses about 80% CPU. The DD is not actually doing anything, just monitoring and the CPU is VERY high.
  3. Is there any way to make the drobo show the Disk Space in the menu bar ? This was a great feature. Because points 1 & 2 I can’t leave the dashboard program running. Now I will not get email alerts when there is problem.

Is it safe to unistall and re-install the old version ?

Will

Mine is using about 4% CPU right now monitoring the Drobo in a seemingly never-ending relayout. DDServiced is less than 1%.

The myth about the drobo re-layout is something that needs to be corrected by Drobo I think.

It is possible to use the Drobos whilst the re-layout is happening, but the re-layout will take a VERY long time. For 2TB of data you have to allow 4 or 5 days at least. This is on Drobo FW800.

You can make the re-layout much quicker, but then you need to stop using the drobo and eject it.

You have to choose one or the other.

Having a re-layout actually make progress and to allow access to the data at the same time does not work.

I see the same issue on Lion, if the Dashboard is running and visible my VNC connection is doing 8.0MB/S updates, if the Dashboard is partially visible, its around the 5.0MB/s, closing the Dashboard and it drops to 20 KB/s.

Very tempted to go back to the V1 dashboard.

I also have this problem in Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 when I VNC into it. The flicker makes the Dashboard complete unusable and the CPU usages is crazy.

I’m new to Drobo. Is going back to any older version of dashboard the answer? Can anyone from Drobo staff report if a fix will be out soon?

Thanks.

My Dashboard opens and runs fine, but I can’t see any text on the dashboard. All the graphics and images work fine but the text is not showing up. This pretty much makes dashboard pointless for me. Is anyone else having this issue? I am running Mac OS 10.7.1 and DD 2.0.3

DD is a cpu hog for me as well. Running 2.03 on an old mac mini with snow leopard and it it permanently grabbing 84% of the cpu.

Based on what I’ve seen with other applications, I’m guessing that the new Drobo Dashboard is made of a lot of cross-platform code, and is using OpenGL to draw the interface. Either that, or it’s just being horribly inefficient.