Drobo

Is standby-mode bad?

I’ve just bought my first Drobo some days ago and after moving all my precious data to the 4 disks in it (and having it in standby today), I wanted to re-mount it. 4 red lights was the result of this and it scared the shit out of me. I rebooted my MacbookPro and I now got it back to greens. Should I worry about this stuff?

Not quite following what exactly happened when you “wanted to re-mount it” can you describe in more detail?

When I put it in standby-mode, the disk ejects (obviously). When I go to DiskUtility (osx) I can choose mount to wake it up and make it available again. Is this the wrong way to wake him up?

In order to complete the standby process you must remove the firewire or usb cable.
You use standby when you want to turn off your drobo and/or move it.

ah ok. So it IS bad to keep it connected while in standby-mode? I chose for this method so it would be “off”, but I could wake it up when I need it on the road (VNC). I guess it’s better to keep it on 24/7 then?

Yes.

I’ll just chip in here because there’s something troubling me about the first post

you “MOVED” all your precious data to it? implying that drobo is your ONLY copy???

if your data is precious - dont make one device hold your only copy - no matter what device it is.

Drobo is great as either: a redundant backup to a faster (but susceptible to failure) single disk i.e. you have a desktop computer (or several) with 1 big fast drive which you work on, and everynight it (they?) backs up to drobo - if your computer dies - you restore from drobo.

OR (as i do)

Drobo is your main data store - and your critical files you have backed up elsewhere (in my case on a few blu-rays at various other physical locations).

there is a very good saying to do with putting all of your eggs in one basket… never do it!

Drobo DOES protect you against:

single drive failure

Drobo does NOT protect you against:

File system corruption
Dual disk failure (unless you have S/Pro/Elite)
Viruses/malicious software
HUMAN ERROR - never underestimate this one!
Fire
Flood
Theft

the list goes on…

I agree with Docchris, your own experience showed that the “human error” is an important factor.

Just brows this forum and you will see that there are several people out there who lost all of their data because they thought that the Drobo will protect the data against everything.

You guys are right. I do have a backup of my archives (whitch is the most important) but
my collection of movies /series / docu’s is just getting too big too fast to backup. It wouldn’t be the end of the world to loose this, but in the first week? Luckely not.[hr]
By the way, I’m wondering: WHY is this bad? What on earth is the drobo doing while connected in sleepmode that would screw things up? Just interested in the technology behind this little beast :slight_smile:

Nothing, in standby mode it is essentially off. its fine, but i have never heard of re-mounting to wake it up, as far as i knew, you need to disconnect and then reconnect the data cable (while it is in standby only) in order to wake it up.

And your setup is like mine, i have WAY too much media to backup, so jut had to trust that to drobo, if i lost it all, it would just be a pain to re-create it, not the end of the world

Jpunt let this be a lesson for yourself. In the old version of this forum, several people had the same experience (not only limited to the Drobo) and as a result of this we came to the conclusion that it is a stupid idea to use a new technology right from the beginning as productive environment.

Use some days to play around with whatever you got new and use some time to get in touch with it. I for example went to a lot of reformatings in the first few weeks just to figure out that the size of discs you put into the Drobo matters and that I don’t like the idea to have several partitions on it. So I finally formated the whole device to 16TB.
If I had done this always with my “important” data … na don’t want to think of it.

Coming to the size of the suff stored on the Drobo. You should thing of some backup strategy. Some people use BluRay to do it (I also use it) and honestly burning 50GB on a BD doesn’t take soooo long.

Always run parallel processes for critical things until you’re 100% certain that the new system is reliable. Sadly, this rarely happens in the real world (I have several conversations with my mom about this subject with respect to her employer).

Especially not with the new 12x burners, topping out at 40MB/sec!

My all time favorite Drobo “I thought it was fail safe” story from the old forum. All absolutely true and some here I’m sure remember it :slight_smile:

A guy buys a Drobo and fresh 2x1.5 TB drives (probably Seagates with bad firmware) to start out. He has two much smaller drives with all his precious data, not backed up of course, to be “moved” to the new Drobo.

He loads his data and all is well. His Drobo is maybe 50% capacity with his now 1TB of available space.

He sticks the old (not backed up of course) data drives into the Drobo to add a little more capacity, maybe because it was cool to have all the drives filled… who knows why he needlessly decided to destroy his old copies as if they were unwanted junk?

You already know where this is headed… within days the drives failed and he lost his data. Sad but true.

On a more productive note, I worked the Drobo for a couple of weeks before I used it for real, relying on it even intra-day. I always keep lots of backup copies. If you can’t afford the backup cost you can’t afford to store the data :slight_smile:

Although I have never lost a byte of data or had a single byte corrupted, or a single file lost to my knowledge, I did have some teething issues in the beginning that required a temporary firmware downgrade and was glad not to go through that with un-backed up real data. It’s just good practice with any new storage in particular.

Hey wait a minute. Don’t tell me I can’t manage my backups. I’ve got my stuff covered, except for over a tb of movies I can download again. Point is that I got all reds in the first week on a €400 device and all I wanted to know is why.

naaaa the point is that everyone here is a bit tired of people who come to this forum and complain about lost data, so we try to annoy everyone till they either go away or agree that they did something wrong.

Seriously back to the topic.
I just had the funny situation that snow leopard doesn’t like the 1.3 versions of the dashboard app, and that result in a strange Drobo behaviour.

So let me ask, which operating do you use? And which Dashboard application are you using?

haha ok, I understand. Just wanted to let you know that I’m fully aware of the fact that something is not a backup when it’s the only instance, just because it’s on a external drive. And I keep walking into people like that as well…

Anyway, I’m also on Snow Leopard and Dashboard 1.3. What kind of behavior are you talking about?

I had 2x 2TB and 2x 1Tb in my Drobo without any problem (as far as I remember), but I swapped one of the 1TBs with a 2TB disc some days ago.
The Drobo is normally connected to another machine and I didn’t had any problems. But today I wanted to check the update function of the old Dashboard app I still have on my Snow Leopard machine. And just after connecting the Drobo to that machine running the App, the Drobo (and the app) showed that there is no free space left on my Drobo. Somehow the 1.4TB free space turned into used space and there should be 4.5TB of data on my Drobo.
The reminding 1TB disc turned red and the Drobo ask me to replace it.
I disconnected the Drobo and reconnected it to my other machine… still this behaviour. Then I restarted my Drobo and everything was fine again.

And here is my setup:
Mac Mini 10.5.6 with Dashboard app 1.6.7, my Drobo with firmware 1.3.5 (which is the normal setup)
MacBook 10.6.2 with Dashboard app 1.3.1.

If you also trusted the update button of the Dashboard app… ignore it. Jessica said here in the forum that the update function isn’t used all the time DRI brings out a new version. And the last version they used to publish via that function was 1.5.1… but the newest Dashboard app is 1.6.7. So maybe your Dashboard app was the reason for the app…

Oh and you guess right. DRI doesn’t see any reason to publish all the versions by that update function, they thing it would be better for the users to check the DRI web side or use the RSS feed :slight_smile:

I wasn’t picking on you, Jpunt. The discussion evolved into the need for backup and I thought that was a good story :slight_smile:

Another story is similar, but here the guy started with a couple new drives that would not hold all the data from his several existing external drives. So after he copied each drive he added them to the Drobo. You can finish the story :-). But at least he had a basis (albeit very poorly reasoned) for doing that (saving some money) so he didn’t make it to the top of the list :slight_smile:

If you had all your data backed up, though, you would still have your poo :slight_smile:

If I were in your shoes, I would back up the movies anyway. Get something like a BlacX dock (cheap) and some raw drives. You only have to do it once (unless the endings change), and then sync any new movies from time to time and you don’t have to do that often since having to rip a few recent movies in the event of a problem is not such a big deal. If it were me, I would create top level folders intended to slide into whatever size disks you use for backup. That simplifies the backup and occasional re-syncing.

Psychologically, even though you can reconstruct the movies you’ll feel better about things, especially when something odd happens and not worry so much. Poo is a terrible thing to waste unnecessarily :slight_smile:

As my recent experience shows (and numerous posts here in the forums point out), make sure what you put on the Drobo is your second copy of the data.

In other words, whatever you put on your Drobo, should exist 100% intact somewhere else. Don’t rely on the Drobo as the only place to hold your data.

Consider your Drobo the “cache” volume of data that exists elsewhere, not the source volume.