Drobo

insomnia DroboApp

So, does anyone have, or would be willing to send me, a properly archived copy of the insomnia DroboApp (i.e. prevents Drobo from going to sleep)? I downloaded the one online, but it comes as a insomnia-r1.gz file, and I’ve read that DroboShare doesn’t properly install files in a .gz format.

This is my first attempt in dealing with a DroboApp, and I must admit that it has been one of the most frustrating things I’ve had to do in a very long time. Just figuring out how to install one was a major PITA, and I still haven’t managed to accomplish it yet.

And if the.gz files don’t work properly, then why allow it to be available in the DroboApps file library?

-Rich

I would do a test for you, however I’m running a droboshare and my drobo is already on 24x7x365 as there’s no way to shut it down via drobo-utils (linux) over the network (only works if i plug in directly via usb) so it’s pretty much always on.

Installing drobo apps is actually quite easy once you understand what you must do.

First, need to use DroboDashboard to turn on the droboapps.

Second, browse into the DroboApps folder in your drobo and drag and drop the drobo apps utility into the folder and restart your droboshare. This will install the drobo admin utility.

Third, open a browser and point it to the IP address of your drobo followed by port 8080 so for example typing, 192.168.1.142:8080 will take you to the web based drobo admin page, from here you can install a variety of drobo apps.

Fourth, make sure you install the SSH app so you can have direct SSH access to your drobo using an SSH client.

Fifth, for apps that can’t be installed via the admin utility, you just drag and drop the tar.gz file into the DroboApps directory and restart droboshare via the admin page.

Once you drag and drop the insomnia app, it should show up in the web based admin utility under Configure Droboapps, note that some may not be configurable from here.

hope this helps.

Step 1 and 2 had already been done, but I run into a problem with your step 3. I found the IP address for the DroboShare, but I can’t navigate to it via my browser (tried both IE and Firefox). Every attempt to go to the IP address (with or without the “:8080” at the end) simply results in a “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” or “[Firefox]Unable to connect”. (DroboShare is connected to a TrendNet switch, which is connected to a TrendNet router).

Honestly, I think that the process of installing DroboApps is horribly convoluted, and had I known how long it took to wake the @#$%^& thing up after it goes to sleep (and what havoc that would create with my automated nightly backup routines) I would have never bought it in the first place. And now, in an attempt to resolve the sleep/wakeup problems (which should have been dealt with in the DroboDashboard itself), I’m so frustrated with it that I’m just about ready to throw it out the window. I really like the “concept” of the Drobo, but the implementation is just pitiful!

To be honest, I’m in a completely different boat than you. I use linux, thus im not running DroboDashboard and so my drobo share (and drives) are literally ON 24x7 without sleep, (unless of course the disks themselves are the ones spinning down.) I’d assume if you simply disable dashboard the same thing would happen, if you want it.

I don’t think installing drobo apps is hard at all, configuring them is another issue. Once you make sure you turned on DroboApps via dashboard it should be good to go. Perhaps you have a defective device if you’re 100% positive you’re using the correct IP and you have to use the port values otherwise i don’t think it will work.

Essentially, apps are installed one of two ways. via “click to install” from droboapps admin, or by placing the tar.gz file directly into the DroboApps directory (which is acccessible via SSH) again… even for the novice, not too hard.

Sorry you’re having so much trouble, perhaps you should open a support ticket if you still can’t navigate to the droboapps admin page.

Good luck

Scotta3234, everything you say should be true, but just isn’t… at least in my case. I’ve tried everything I know to make this thing work, but nothing seems to matter. I’m so frustrated by the whole Drobo experience I could scream. And I really wish I had my $600 back, so I could buy an HP MediaSmart system… which I should have gone with in the first place, as it was highly recommended in a discussion group for software developers (who really know their hardware!). I do know one thing – I’ll never recommend that anyone buy a Drobo system!

Perhaps a silly question rholler, but have you opened a support ticket?

Someone on the phone talking you through the issue will be more effective than 3-4 exchanged forum posts with the associated latency increasing your frustration.

No, because I did finally get things working. Unfortunately, the “insomnia” app that started this whole thing turned out to be a “bash” script, and bash doesn’t work under Windows… so all the frustration was for nothing, and I’ve still got a Drobo/DroboShare that goes to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity, causing my automated backup routine to timeout when it tries to find the Backup folder on the Drobo.

Anyone wanna buy a barely-used Drobo/DroboShare system?

Yes, it’s a bash script because it runs on the DroboShare - doesn’t matter what OS your computer is running.
That’s why the System Requirements list DroboShare…
http://www.drobo.com/droboapps/downloads/index.php?id=27

OK then, I guess I just don’t know enough to understand how to make the @#$%^& thing work. As I’ve said before, the whole DroboApp concept seems far too convoluted for the average user to figure out.

Mostly DroboApps run on the DroboShare unit itself (it’s a small specialized computer)

Looks like you had a couple of problems initially with getting DroboApps Admin running, which isn’t required (though it does make life easier), so let’s take a step back and start without DroboApps Admin for now.

1. Download Insomnia .tgz archive
    I just tried the download page and it seems to be delivering the proper file now. So download that and save it somewhere convenient.

2. Enable DroboApps on your DroboShare. This is done by running Drobo Dashboard on a computer and enabling it.
    If it’s already enabled, great, if not, enable it, then reboot DroboShare by…
    a) Shut down/standby the Drobo from Drobo Dashboard
    b) Disconnect the USB connection between Drobo and DroboShare
    c) When the lights on the Drobo go out, unplug the power to both the Drobo and DroboShare
    d) Reconnect the USB connection between Drobo and DroboShare
    e) Count to 10 slowly
    f) Plug the power back into Drobo and DroboShare

3. Install the Insomnia DroboApp
    You do this by copying the insomnia-r1.tgz file to the DroboApps folder on the Drobo connected to DroboShare.

4. Reboot the DroboShare to install the Insomnia app.
    c) When the lights on the Drobo go out, unplug the power to both the Drobo and DroboShare
    e) Count to 10 slowly

5. When DroboShare comes back to life, Insomnia should be up and running and the Drobo shouldn’t go to sleep.

You can stop here if you want.

If you plan to install more DroboApps, the DroboApps Admin DroboApp does make life easier in terms of managing DroboApps. There is one “gotcha” in the install that trips many people up, so I’m going to bold that step.

1. Download the DroboApps Admin archive from the download page.

7. Extract the contents of the DroboApps_Admin_Utility-2.zip file somewhere.

1. From the files you extracted, copy the droboadmin.tgz file to the DroboApps folder on the Drobo connected to DroboShare.

2. Reboot the DroboShare to install the DroboApps Admin app.
    e) Count to 10 slowly

3. Wait for the Drobo and DroboShare to come back to life

4. Open your web browser and navigate to http://DroboShare:8080/
    If that doesn’t work, try http://ip.address.of.droboshare:8080/
    Where ip.address.of.droboshare is the IP address of your DroboShare listed in Drobo Dashboard.

Hope that simplifies the process.