Does anyone at Drobo support know what they are doing?
So my drobo has been working fine for about 18 months, i’ve upgraded drives, it has successfully re-laid out data.
A week ago it told me to upgrade the drive in slot 4 (drive setup was 1TB WD Green drives in slots 1-3 and a 320GB Seagate in Drive 4) as it was filling up. I popped out the 320GB and put in a 500GB in its place (not much bigger but all I had)
It started its re-layout and after 24 hours had not finished successfully. The Drobo was no longer recognised in OS X (the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer) and drobo dashboard could see the drobo, showed how much was used and how much was free (75% and 25% respectively) but the volume was now called “Unformatted”. and at this point it would go into “Data protection in progress” (4 lights flashing green and orange) for a few hours then back to “Drobo cannot protect your data” (bays 1-3 Green, Bay 4 Red) for 20 minutes, and this would keep cycling.
After a day of this, it then remained in relayout mode (4 flashing lights) permanently, and would spontaneously reboot whilst doing so.
I opened a ticket with diagnostic log at the start of the week, first the technician told me that one of the 1TB drives (Bay 3) had 3 full timeouts and advised me to wait till its in the “Drobo cannot protect your data” and then remove the 1TB drive and replace it. When I explained that its stuck in a relayout so pulling out that drive would mean data loss, he asked for my power supply part number and then handed me over to tier 3.
Tier 3 told me to take the 1TB drive in Bay 3 and clone it onto another 1TB drive. I didnt know how this could be done (as I know the drobo has its own file system and the drive wouldnt just show up in Mac OS X) so I asked them what software to use, they advised Carbon Copy Cloner.
I received the replacement 1TB drive and sure enough Mac OS X and Carbon copy cloner cannot see the Drobo disk. And if I initialise it I will lose the data on there.
And of course no weekend support so I just have to sit here till Monday…