Drobo

iMac going to sleep confuses Drobo 2nd gen

Anyone have their iMacs going to sleep when its not used? It wakes up and then Drobo takes about 5 minutes to start working again. Usually it complains the drive was unmounted incorrectly (this is rubbish cause the iMac went to sleep) and it seems to attach twice, once badly with all red lights and then it reboots itself and then it works.

http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/103/kw/sleep/r_id/100004

This issue appears after the following sequence:

You wake up your Mac.
Drobo or DroboPro sounds like it is waking up. Then all drive lights turn red and all of the blue lights come on.
Drobo or DroboPro then reboots itself.
The Mac’s “device removal” warning appears after reboot.
The Data Robotics engineering team has looked at this problem closely. The team concluded that the most likely cause is a bad drive that is taking too long to spin up. Whenever drive(s) don’t spin up properly or promptly, Drobo and DroboPro perform a controlled reboot.

Try these tests to identify a drive or bay that is misbehaving:

Safely shut down Drobo or safely shut down DroboPro.
Move drives to different bays. Ensure each drive is firmly seated.
Reboot Drobo by first connecting the data cable and then connecting the power cord. Reboot DroboPro by flipping the power toggle on the back of DroboPro.
Retry your sleep test to see if the pattern has stopped.
You can also try this same sequence but remove one drive at a time from your drive pack before rebooting and retrying your sleep test. If a drive is bad, the misbehavior should stop when the bad drive is removed.

I think you should just update the firmware to wait a little longer. All my drives are WD green drives, all certified. This Drobo is so finicky there is no way I’m going to do what you suggest. I’d suggest you tell engineering to fix their firmware to have a wider tolerance for drives.

Another way to think about it is this. The drive boots successfully eventually so clearly there is nothing wrong with the way the drives are seated so the logic in what your engineers are telling you is faulty. I have no errors with the drives, nothing intermittent. There is nothing wrong with the seating of the drives. Again, fix the firmware…

I have had the same problem with my v2 drobo and have never got to the bottom of things. Brand new drives even cause the problem, the frustrating thing is that it is not always happening and I can’t put my finger on it to be able to successfully repeat the problem but it does happen at least once a week if not more.

@easternherp Have you opened a support case?