Drobo

How-To: Windows 7 keep Drobo from sleeping

The following works for me. I’ve been running this for about a week and so far it’s worked flawlessly. What I’ve done is create a task that runs every 10 minutes; it simply deletes and creates a file on the Drobo. That’s it. Simple and elegant.

I tried NoSleepHD, but it won’t run for me. (I suspect that it’s due to me running W7x64). So I needed to come up with something else. And then I thought about tasks… duh! How simple.

Anyway here are the files that you need to get this to work for you. There are 2 files:[list=1]
[]nosleep.bat; the batch file that does the actual work.
[
]NoSleepDroboTask.xml; xml file to import into Windows Task Scheduler
[/list]
A couple of things:[list]
[]Replace the “drobo” variable in nosleep.bat with your Drobo’s drive letter.
[
]Before you import the xml file into Windows Task Scheduler you should edit it and change the drive letter for your Drobo to match what is in nosleep.bat. Look at the end of the file for the Command and WorkingDirectory sections. You can also edit these values after you import into Task Scheduler by editing the task itself.
[*]You must create a folder directly under your Drobo’s drive called “NoSleepDrobo”. Put these two files under that folder. The xml task definition will look for things under here and it keeps things neat and in the same place.
[/list]
Good luck.
Here are the files:
nosleep.bat

[code]@echo off

set drobo=h:

%drobo%
cd NoSleepDrobo

if exist wakeup.txt del wakeup.txt
date /t >> wakeup.txt
time /t >> wakeup.txt
[/code]

NoSleepDroboTask.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> <Task version="1.3" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task"> <RegistrationInfo> <Date>2010-01-01T10:23:24.3447265</Date> <Author>rrrevin</Author> <Description>Write a file every 10 minutes to the Drobo to keep it from sleeping</Description> </RegistrationInfo> <Triggers> <CalendarTrigger> <Repetition> <Interval>PT10M</Interval> <StopAtDurationEnd>false</StopAtDurationEnd> </Repetition> <StartBoundary>2010-01-01T12:00:00</StartBoundary> <Enabled>true</Enabled> <ScheduleByDay> <DaysInterval>1</DaysInterval> </ScheduleByDay> </CalendarTrigger> </Triggers> <Principals> <Principal id="Author"> <UserId>rrrevin</UserId> <LogonType>S4U</LogonType> <RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel> </Principal> </Principals> <Settings> <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy> <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries> <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries> <AllowHardTerminate>false</AllowHardTerminate> <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable> <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable> <IdleSettings> <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd> <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle> </IdleSettings> <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand> <Enabled>true</Enabled> <Hidden>false</Hidden> <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle> <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession> <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>false</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine> <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun> <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT0S</ExecutionTimeLimit> <Priority>7</Priority> </Settings> <Actions Context="Author"> <Exec> <Command>H:\NoSleepDrobo\nosleep.bat</Command> <WorkingDirectory>H:\NoSleepDrobo</WorkingDirectory> </Exec> </Actions> </Task>