Drobo

How to run checkdisk for the drobo FS?

I am not able to run checkdisk for the FS, because it is connect via ethernet. Anyone know a way?

Thanks,

If you SSH into the box there may be Linux tools on there that you could use, I can’t remember…

I think you want to use fsck in the embedded Linux.
This man page may help, but I’m not sure exactly what Linux variant is on the FS.

Thank you guys! I will try this when I get home. I am getting married later this year, and I had copied 6 years of photos. Half are missing!!

Hey guys, I installed dropbear. How do I SSH into the drobo FS and run the fsck??

Thanks

Mac or PC? If you’re Mac, then you can use ssh from Terminal:

ssh 192.168.1.7 (or whatever the IP address of your DroboFS is). I can’t remember username and password, but I’m sure it’s here somewhere.

On PC you will need an SSH client. I used to use PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/).

Backup your existent data first!! Before u use tools like fsck which can modify the file system! Btw… I wouldn’t run fsck on the DroboFs,… you don’t know how the file system is handled by the DRI proprietary raid driver.

I think the DroboFs should handle file system errors by itself. If there were errors you would have been notified through the dashboard or emails.

If files are missing,it’s likely that you’ve deleted them.

No, i know I didn’t delete them. I left a window open with the files open and saw them there before I went to bed. I’m going to back everything up to an external. What do you suggest I do next? Is there a way to undelete the files? Should I run fdisk or chkdsk? I really need to recover these files.

what computer (windows / mac) are you accessing them from? try the other kind if you can

I’ve seen the .AppleDB file get corrupted, and cause weird issues when viewing files from a mac.

once you get SSH working, go into /mnt/DroboFS/Shares on the drobo, that directory contains the different directories that appear as shares, so then go into the share you want, and “rm -r .AppleDB” It only removes the index of the files you have that is used by apple file sharing.

also, you left the window open, and the files were gone when you got up in the morning, do you live alone? have a cat?

and make sure you know what you’re doing before you go in. there’s no way to run fsck without umounting the drive, and to unmount, you have to kill anything accessing it before you do. which i tried to do once, without much success, but i didn’t try too hard. and i consider myself a fairly decent linux user. It’s possible (and pretty easy) to completely kill all of you data if you don’t know what you’re doing.