Symptom: My Drobo 5D unit would freeze up about once a day, requiring pulling the plug on the Drobo. This happened regardless of using Thunderbolt or USB3.
What I tried:
- Downgraded from macOS Big Sur to a fresh install of Catalina
- Downgraded the firmware in the Drobo from 4.2.1 to 4.1.3
- Installed Drobo Dashboard 3.5.0
- Factory reset the Drobo
- Ran first aid on each disk with Disk Utility
- Erased each disk with Disk Utility
- Added Drobo to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy
- In System Preferences > Energy Saver:
Check Prevent computer from sleeping…
Uncheck Put hard disks to sleep when possible
Check Wake for network access
Check Startup automatically after a power failure
Uncheck Enable Power
- Connected Drobo to its own outlet (aka no surge protector etc)
- Once stability improved > a day I installed Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1 and the latest firmware 4.2.1
Everything seems to be working now. I’m not saying you necessarily need to go through all of these steps, but something about these steps got the unit working much more reliably for me.
Good luck and let me know if any of these steps helps you.