Drobo

Help with SSH commands to preserve date stamps of files, to recover "lost" shared (sub)directories on my B800FS

Hope someone can help me with the right SSH commands to employ to copy (cp), move (mv) or resync (rsync) from a once “vanished” BACKUP folder (I am unable to see anymore in my MS Windows Network Neighbourhood file explorer) to the PUBLIC folder which I am still able to access through my MS Windows Network Explorer.

I.e. so far I have successfully employed the following SSH commands to login to my old B800FS on my network from my MS Windows 10 desktop PC

ssh Admin@192.xxx.xxx.xx
Admin@192.xxx.xxx.xx’s password:

$ ls -a
. … .ash_history

$ cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/

$ ls -a
. … Backup DroboApps Public

(listing the subdirectory shares with “Backup” being the Directory which I “lost” as it “vanished” from my MS Windows Network neighbourhood, but with SSH I am now able to change to that “Backup” folder employing the following command: )

$ cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Backup

$ ls -a

dir1
dir2nospace
dir3 space

(listing me the subdirectories in the BACKUP shared folder, and I am able to copy these to the PUBLIC directory, e.g. I can copy dir1 to the public share using the following command

$ cp -r dir1 /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public
copy success - but lost date stamps

$ cp -r dir2nospace /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public
copy success - but lost date stamps

$ cp -r dir2 space /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public
no success - unable to copy

however my problem is that all my files (in particular my picture files) lost their old date stamp now being replaced with the new date of the transfer date, while I am only able to copy the directories which don’t have any spaces in the directory name, e.g. “dir2nospace” would copies, but “dir3 space” does not copy. I possibly could get around this by copying the parent directory “BACKUP” to the Public shared directory, but I have about 7TB of data to copy, that I like to get the ssh commands right for such a major task.

and employing

rsync -a dir1/ /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public or rsync -a dir1/ /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public/

although copying files with the old time stamps would get back with an error messages saying:

rsync failed to set times on “/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public/.”: Operation not permitted (1)

What I am I missing?

Ultimately, I would like to make the “lost” shared directory “BACKUP” visible to my MS Windows Network neighbourhood again, but I don’t want to risk moving my files (by employing the “mv” command) to the “PUBLIC” directory, only to find out afterwards that I lost all the date stamps of my files in the process.

I found that the command attribute “-p” may preserve the date stamp, however, so far it throws up error messages.

which attributes, like (-r, -a, -p, …) can I employ with “rsync” or “cp” to backup my files and how to employ them correctly?

As you may have guessed, I am not familiar to any linux commands puzzling it together from online forum searches, while the B800FS with the latest available firmware installed may have a limited set of commands linux available, that any advice on which commands to employ in the most efficient way without losing any file attributes would be greatly appreciated.

anyone?
thanks in advance