Drobo

Help setting up MiniDLNA

Help setting up MiniDLNA

Hi all,

This is my first time with DroboFS and DroboApps and I need some help setting up MiniDLNA.
I have installed the 1.0.2.4 version and it is seen by my DLNA devices, BUT it only shows some default directories/maps that are all empty.

From minidlna.conf: MiniDLNA Default: media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/Public

My setttings I tested with:

  1. media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboFSshare/Media
  2. media_dir=/mnt/Drobo-FS/Shares/DroboFSshare/Media
  3. media_dir=/mnt/Drobo-FS/DroboFSshare/Media
    4.media_dir=/mnt/Drobo-FS/Shares/Public/DroboFSshare/Media

restarted the Drobo every time but no go :frowning:
I also found out that all my maps and files have new dates on them after the last tryout, like 2022 or 2024 as year???

I know the minidlna.conf file is read and used as I changed the “friendly_name=” every time as well just to be sure.


Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Regards
/Cekari

Are you comfortable using a command line under linux? If so, you can SSH into the DroboFS, and then ask minidlna to do a forced refresh of the file database.

A simpler option is just to go in the DroboApps share, and delete the contents of the minidlna/var/cache/minidlna* folder(s), then restart the drobo. This will delete the current file database, and force a refresh on startup.

Keep in mind that it may take a while for something to appear on clients, since the FS does not have a particularly fast CPU.

Hi,

No I’m not used to SSH at all :slight_smile:

I believe the problem is what to write in this setting: media_dir=?
so doing a rebuild before this is set properly will not help?
As you see in my first post I have tried all 4 and have no idea how the line should read. thats why I submitted images of what my system looks like and how it’s named :slight_smile:

Ah, ok, as soon as I know how the “media_dir=” should look like there is no problen deleting those files in “minidlna/var/cache/minidlna* folder(s)”

/Cekari

It looks like option 1 (media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboFSshare/Media) is the correct one, but we can only be sure if you SSH into it.

Haha, ok thanks, but i have no idea what “SSH into it” means… guess I have some reading/learning to do :slight_smile:

Ok, let’s try a different question. Are you editing the file with Windows?

No, with a text-editor in Mac, Lion last version.

I used option 1, deleted the contents you said and restarted the DroboFS.
Now almost all my mp3 shows up and 1 map with images (out of about 20) but no movies at all.
Starting to wonder if one really can have nested maps as I have or everything in 1 map?

My media map looks like this:

Media
…Musik
…mp3 (3821 of 4033 show up)
…m4a (None show up)
…Images
…map1 (actually other names on the maps)
…map1_1
…map1_2
…map2 (only one that shows up)
…map2_1 (none…)
…map3
etc etc
…Movies
… (about the same structure as the Images one)

A few thoughts…
could it be that I’m using extended characters in names on maps etc?
do I have to write a “media_dir=” for every map in the the map structure?

I downloaded a utility that creates symlinks for me but haven’t found any program yet that reads the symlink file so I can see the whole path inside it :-/

Thanks Ricardo for helping me :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell it is better to add the separate folders in different media_dir items based on content, but your setup should work as well.

That is a very strong possibility. As far as I can remember, the FS is configured to use UTF-8 (unicode) on file names. I’m not sure that all DLNA devices are prepared to handle the full spectrum of UTF-8. Also, you have to be careful that if you access the Drobo share using AFP (the standard file sharing protocol for macs), then it could be that your mac is using some Apple-specific character codepage, which is not UTF-8.

This could result in file names that contain characters that are valid in the mac character set, but not on unicode.

At this point my suggestion to you is to try to break this problem down to the basics. That means:

  1. Create a folder with just one file of each type (i.e., one MP3, one M4A, one AVI, one MKV, one JPG, and so on…)
  2. Make sure the files do not use any special characters. Just plain ASCII.
  3. Now delete minidlna’s cache and restart the Drobo.

If after this you still can’t see the files, then the problem might be due to codec support. In other words, your devices simply can’t display the given video/audio codec, or image format.

If you can see the files, then the next step is to introduce files with special characters, clean minidlna’s cache again, and restart the Drobo. If the files disappeared, then you have to stop using special characters.

You don’t need one for each subfolder, but it is considered good practice to have one media_dir item (like in
your case) for Musik, one for Images, one for Movies, etc… where you specify the type of content as well. It should make indexing much faster too.

I’m not sure what you are trying to do here, since it should not be necessary to create symlinks.

Hi again,

Well, to make it short… I bought a Boxee Box and now I can stream anything I put in the DroboFS without any problems to my TV or home theater system so I’m a happy guy now :slight_smile:

Thanks for your time and effort.

/Cekari