Drobo

Help all drives blinking red-green and won't mount

My Drobo has all 4 drives blinking red green. It unmounted itself from my desktop and I can’t get it to remount. What’s worse is that if I have the Drobo plugged into my computer and do a restart or shut it off and start it up again the entire computer won’t get bast the initial grey/blue screen but if I unplug the Drobo from the computer then the computer is back to normal.

hi cstruss, it might be that a drive had problem and the drobo is rebuilding itself to protect you.

in some rarer cases, the drobo can become unavailable to both dashboard or computer, but it should hopefully become accessible again once the rebuild is complete. can you remember how much data you had on the drobo? (usually the rebuild can take about 1day per 1TB of data that you had on it)

if the drobo is rebuilding with flashing red/green lights, then it usually continues doing this even if not connected to the computer. am not sure how long your rebuild has to go but if it has been rebuilding for quite a while, or you do not have that much data on it, then it might be best to let it rebuild, before re-attaching it to the computer.

Thank you Paul. It’s been blinking now for about 20 hours. I have about 5.6 TB on it.
Is it not odd that restarting my computer with it plugged it caused the computer not to start normally?
Also, I pretty much need to wait about another 4-5 days to even know if it’s okay?
Worst case scenario - can I replace all of them, need a new drive? What’s the likelihood that I’ve lost everything?
(Sorry if I sound a little panicked, I am lol). This isn’t the first time it’s happened, it did this once or twice already but only for a very short time (maybe 10 minutes) - which is why I’m worried it’s something worse. When it happened before I had no problem accessing my data.
When it started this time, I was able to access my files for a while but then it just dismounted.[hr]
Also, should it be making any sounds, it’s pretty quiet?

Thank you Paul. It’s been blinking now for about 20 hours. I have about 5.6 TB on it.
Is it not odd that restarting my computer with it plugged it caused the computer not to start normally?
Also, I pretty much need to wait about another 4-5 days to even know if it’s okay?
Worst case scenario - can I replace all of them, need a new drive? What’s the likelihood that I’ve lost everything?
(Sorry if I sound a little panicked, I am lol). This isn’t the first time it’s happened, it did this once or twice already but only for a very short time (maybe 10 minutes) - which is why I’m worried it’s something worse. When it happened before I had no problem accessing my data.
When it started this time, I was able to access my files for a while but then it just dismounted.
Also, should it be making any sounds, it’s pretty quiet?

ah for the computer hanging part, i have experienced that on some computers before, and even with a usb stick where a computer would not load up for security due to a usb disk being inside.

in some cases it could be something to do with a device not fully responding as ready available (to avoid contamination of data), or in other cases very large max volume setups can also add delay (but thats more of a pros and cons of volume sizing issue which i dont believe affects you directly here)

just to clarify, can i check that when you say red/green, is this amber/green? (or yellow/green as usually indicated on the back of the metalic drobo faceplate sticker saying “do not remove this drive”? if so, i think its worth trying to wait it out, for at least that amount of time, such as 6days if you can before trying other methods (especially if you start to sense vibrations or disk chatter/activity over time)

in one of my upgrades i had some loss to dashboard but in most others, dashboard was ok.

also, another time when something seemed to not happen, a powercycle has been suggested, but if you can wait, i think its worth waiting before trying to interrupt things with other steps.

if you are not sure what to do while you wait though, then here are some things i went through with my first upgrade, (and there are plenty of things to read here lol) from years ago: :slight_smile:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2576

I’m pretty sure it’s red however the green looks a little yellowy to me but I’ve always thought that about the green.
Amber is more yellow/orange I believe.
Is there anyway to upload an photo?
it’s a 2009 machine.

Shouldn’t it be making some kind of noise if it’s working?

Does the blinking red which indicates replace immediately only blink red as in no other colours blinking (like I’m getting green blinking with it)?

Everything says not to remove the drives unless it’s a solid green.

thanks for more info, sure for photos, if you can take any screens and to upload them to ‘imgur’ or similar, with a link to them pasted here, that tends to work quite well. (if you do though, please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers before uploading)

i know what you mean about the lights - you can also upload some video if easy too, to youtube with a direct link to the video clip, and maybe with enough people viewing it we can help reach a consensus on which colour is which :slight_smile: